Top 5 TV Obsessions

A recent conversation with Rae about our lack of passion for the majority of today’s current television programming, got me thinking about some of the shows that have really moved me over the years. The ones that I waited all week for, that I couldn’t stop thinking about between episodes, that I watched over and over, and that caused me to annoy all my friends by never shutting up about them. I know you know what I’m talking about, and I know you have some of your own TV Obsessions too. Here are the Top 5 shows that took over my mind, my heart and my life during their run.

My Top 5 TV Obsessions
tvobsessions

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – This was the show that changed the way I watch TV. It brought me to the internet, introduced me to the fan-world, got me into comics, novelizations and merchandise. And best of all? It brought me to Rae (and many other wonderful friends). Something I will ALWAYS be grateful for. Everyone who knows me, knows that I love Buffy more than… well, most things.
  2. Lost - Uh, I’m still obsessing over this one. Have you seen the She said/She said posts? ‘Nuff said!
  3. Gilmore Girls – I still wish Lorelai was my mother. I loved these girls with my whole heart. Their relationship is what all mothers and daughters strive for.
  4. Avatar the Last Airbender – The only animated show I’ve ever pimped on grown-ups. And I took a lot of flak for it, but I still never shut-up about how everyone needed to watch it.
  5. Heroes – Season 1 – Shame what happened after season 1, but that first season was mind blowing and worthy of obsession. Now? I don’t know because I haven’t watched since mid-last season.

So, what are your Top TV Obsessions?

20 Responses to “Top 5 TV Obsessions”

theTVaddict says:

1. Original BEVERLY HILLS 90210/MELROSE PLACE (got me hooked on TV)
    2. STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (most underrated trek ever)
    3. ALIAS (Among spy/action/thrillers, season 1 and 2 are unmatched)
    4. EVERWOOD
    5. FRIENDS (Still holds up)

But I would on the whole agree, and maybe it’s because I’m either getting older or watch too much TV as a whole, I don’t obsess as I used to. Although GLEE may prove me wrong soon.

• 1.1
      Jody says:

You totally have a point about BH 90210. It should really have a spot on that list! I STILL obsess over the original and watch the eps whenever they’re on. I just never had to pimp it to anyone since everyone I knew was already watching. That was the only reason I left it off.

Karen says:

Fun!
    1. Supernatural: LOVE this show and just spent the weekend at the Chicago fan convention. In the tradition of Buffy the show uses supernatural hunting as a metaphor for familial relationships.
    2. The X-Files: First show I fell hard for. I’ve got an oroborus (snake eating it’s own tail) like the one that Scully got in “Never Again”
    3. Battlestar Galactica: sci-fi at it’s best!
    4. Torchwood: fun, daring, and John Barrowman!
    5. Lost: great character drama and love that it mainstreams sci-fi

• 2.1
      Jody says:

BSG was definitely considered, but I came into the game late so I didn’t have very long to obsess over it. I agree about it being top notch tho!

BlackTsChica says:

1. Psych
    2. Chuck
    3. Burn Notice
    4. Royal Pains
    5. White Collar

Yeah..just about everything on USA Network. After that, comes Castle and Lie to Me. :D

• 3.1
      ChuckNut says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rae, BlackTsChica (Bryna). BlackTsChica (Bryna) said: RT @raelee: Jody wants to know, what are your Top 5 TV Obsessions? http://bit.ly/2GctTW [...]

ChuckNut says:

Without a doubt–Chuck!! The first tv show I got passionately (ok, obsessively) hooked on since faithfully watching Scarecrow & Mrs. King reruns (I was too young in its original broadcast life).

ChuckNut says:

p.s. @ BlackTsChica Though you’re right that Chuck does seem to fit in the USA line-up, it actually airs on NBC. I also really like Castle and Lie to Me, but there nowhere near the obsession status that Chuck has :) .

Harper47 says:

1. Buffy/Angel
    2. Supernatural
    3. Veronica Mars (first two seasons)
    4. X-Philes
    5. Glee

Polter-Cow says:

1. Buffy changed the way I watched TV as well.
    2. The X-Files was my first big “fandom.”
    3. Veronica Mars. You know. That show.
    4. Avatar: The Last Airbender. For the AWESOME.
    5. I’m not sure what to put in the fifth slot. There are a lot of contenders. As far as influence on my life goes, it would probably have to be Gilmore Girls, since I met a lot of people on TWoP through that fandom. But I have loved and obsessed about a lot of shows! Wonderfalls! The Middleman! Chuck! Lost! And such. This can be a rotating slot.

Jeannie says:

1. Buffy/Angel
    2. Supernatural
    3. The X-Files
    4. Veronica Mars (S1-2)
    5. Glee

(or you know, what Harper47 said)

strunkette says:

1. Alias-hands down my favorite show ever. I wanted to be Sydney Bristow…who am I kidding…I still do :) Its the only show that I’ve watched the DVDs multiple times.

2. Lost
    3. X-Files
    4. Battlestar Galactica
    5. Veronica Mars

I know that had I had the CW back when Buffy started I would have been obsessed with it. I’ve started watching on HULU and love it!

Maggie says:

In no particular order:

Veronica Mars
    Gilmore Girls
    Lost
    Friends
    The Office

strunkette says:

Oops I meant the WB lol!

Melody says:

Charmed
    One Tree Hill or The OC…it’s hard to pick which one…
    Heroes Season 1
    The Office
    Big Brother

Vanessa says:

1. Beverly Hills, 90210 (the original, of course) – I literally didn’t want any interruptions. My best friend knew if she called me during the show, I wouldn’t answer the phone.
    2. Battlestar Galactica (the recent version) – I went to both of the props auctions for this show & even got to meet Michael Trucco (aka Samuel T. Anders). :)
    3. True Blood – Sure it was the summer and there wasn’t much else on, but I actually watched a few of the season 2 episodes every single day until the next episode was on; it’s just that good.
    4. Lost – Like many people, my friends and I have Lost nights & dissect the episodes afterward, etc.
    5. Hard to choose the last. I guess I’ll go with Friends because it’s one of my all-time favorite shows, but I don’t remember being quite so obsessive over it. Maybe because it’s a sitcom (and the stories don’t require as much discussion)? Also really liked the first couple seasons of The O.C. (the last scene of season 2′s finale particularly rocked me emotionally) and really enjoy Gossip Girl. Loved the first season of Heroes also, so maybe that could fill the last spot. Definitely discussed that one a lot (& am still watching the show because I’m hoping against hope that it will regain some of what it once had).

Patty says:

The first show I ever obsessed about was the Hardy Boys. But I am old. Moving on. (and I do have the Hardy boys lunch box and dolls)

Then it was X Files. Now Supernatural. Some other shows to a much lesser extent but these last two got me on the internet searching for gossip and spoilers and buying all kinds of crap. I read the tie in books. Comics. Trading cards. T shirts. So yeah. They hooked me.

Buffy and Angel come in filling out the top five but they are not even close to X Files or Supernatural. I do have some action figures so maybe they are tied with the Hardy Boys.

Ok… This list is hard.

1. Buffy – Ditto to what Jody said.
    2. Dawson’s Creek – Oh, you knew that was going to be on the list.
    3. Veronica Mars – I
    4. Alias – I like many above want to be Sydney Bristow.
    5. Crap… Lost? Angel? I freaking love Angel. I wish I could just group Buffy and Angel together even though I didn’t love Angel just because I loved Buffy. It took me a season or two to fall in love with it and now I watch it over and over again almost more than Buffy. (TNT helps with that.) But I also love Gilmore Girls. GRRR!!! And, oh! Psych. And Chuck. Both of those may be too new to make the list. Can I also have a rotating fifth spot?

[...] (If you follow me on Twitter and already answered this, ignore this bullet.) Earlier this week, Jody asked about your Top 5 TV Obsessions. Now I want your Top 12. Working on a little something and need your help. If you only had space [...]