Forget Chuck Not: Going Undercover in the ‘Burbs

One of the fake wedding photos made up for Chuck and Sarah on CHUCK.My original intent was to come up with a list of my favorite undercover roles we’ve seen on Chuck, an idea Kath from GMMR liked. But, uh, my list quickly got out of control. I may like this show a bit too much. Instead I’m going to split my list into multiple posts.

“You two kids are going to the suburbs.
Good luck as a normal couple.”

This first undercover assignment is one of my favorites from last season. A shout out to @kdeezy for reminding me of it last night. Not that I really needed it. It’s hard to forget Sarah and Chuck heading to the suburbs to pose as a married couple in “Chuck vs The Suburbs.” And, if you have forgotten, you can always browse through NBC’s “Our Life Together” album with the photos that were sprinkled throughout their “home” in the episode.

The joy on Chuck’s face when he pulls into the driveway and looks around at the life he wishes he had? Amazing. Almost as amazing as the sadness on Sarah’s face at leaving it all behind at the very end of the episode.

Chuck enters his home shared with Sarah in the suburbs on CHUCK.

Man. That dog was cute. I want it. Also, it’s pretty amazing how clothes can change a person. Look how different Chuck looks in that outfit than he does normally. Anyway, playing house with Sarah? Not a bad deal. I like the way they styled her hair during this episode to give her a softer look than she has most of the time. Ditto on her clothes. She looks right at home with that big bowl of… something in her hands. I love that she cooks him breakfast in the episode. Altho, what guy wears PJs like that?!

Chuck and Sarah play house in the suburbs on CHUCK.

My favorite part about this undercover assignment is how much fun Chuck has interacting with the neighbors. Granted, that’s before he realizes they’re all Fulcrum agents but he looks so happy raising his coffee at the other guys in the morning. Of course, maybe he loves it so much because that’s when he gets things like Sarah coming out in her robe to kiss him goodbye! How adorable does she look waving goodbye to him?

Sarah kisses Chuck goodbye.

We got a lot of other fun scenes out of this episode too with Casey popping up as a repairman and listening in as the neighbor tries to seduce Chuck…

Sylvia: Mr. Carmichael, I didn’t expect you to come so quickly.
Chuck: Charles Carmichael always comes quickly.
[over watch-phone]
Casey: Smooth, Bartowski.

Heh. Then of course there’s that great scene at the end where Chuck holds Sarah and covers her ears to save her from Fulcrum’s version of the Intersect. It’s one of those scenes that make the show so great:

Yep, this is definitely one of the best undercover assignments we’ve seen on Chuck. What say you? Is it one of your favorites? What are some of your other favorites? Let me know in the comments and I’ll include them in future posts. Or. Better yet! Write a guest post about your favorite undercover assignment.

7 Responses to “Forget Chuck Not: Going Undercover in the ‘Burbs”

ChuckNut says:

awesome post! thanks for keeping Chuck on people’s minds! looking forward to the next installment. :)

strunkette says:

Did he cover her ears to save her from the Intersect or so she wouldn’t hear the screams of the Fulcrum agents while the Intersect killed them? I think it was the latter….which makes it even more sweet of him to do.

• 2.1

I dunno, he didn’t know they were going to scream at that point did he? Altho I do see what you mean, it’s not like there was any audio stimulation… that I can tell anyway. I feel like it’s just an instinctive, cover your ears and eyes, kind of thing. Sweet no matter how you look at it.

Baylink says:

I’m gonna split the difference.

The opening scene from Suburbs was put to such good use as the opening scene in Christopher Payne’s “Chuck vs Mr Roboto” (which is, effectively, a Previously” for S3E1), that I’m going to remind everyone here to go watch it:

(His followup: “Chuck vs the CIA Agent”, set to Kylie Minogue’s “No More Rain” is actually even more epic, but I don’t have any real excuse to tell you it’s here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1_aAkDL9u8 :-)

Kath (GMMR) says:

Here’s what irked me about the ‘burbs photos. With all the talented creative people they have on the show, they couldn’t do a better job at photoshopping those photos? I could definitely have done better and I’m an amateur. And why not just have Zac and Yvonne throw on a few different outfits one day and have them take some pics. With one hour photo developing they would have been down in two hours start to finish.

Mini rant over.

I love CHUCK and thanks for talking about it so much during its way too long break.

• 4.1

I’m right there with you on the photoshopped wedding pics, Kath. I had a hard time picking one in which Yvonne actually looked decent since in most of them she’s got a gigantic head. It’s ridiculous.

I do feel like they were purposely trying to make them look fake but they are so bad it’s cringe-worthy. Hell, the one hour photo thing isn’t even necessary since they can just print them right there. You can’t tell me they don’t have a a nice photo printer in their graphics department.