Friday Fun: Ramblings of a TV Guide

Friday Fun!

It’s Friday, and that means it’s time for some fun!

This week we’re taking one of my personal TV frustrations, and turning it into a fun little game for you! Now, I don’t know about you, but I hate it when I’m searching the TV Guide to look up which episode of a particular show is on, and instead of the episode title and description, there’s just a generic show description. This is in no way helpful to me, I already know what show it is! But, it turns out that this little pet-peeve makes the perfect basis for a little game we’re calling Ramblings of a TV Guide!

We’ll give you a list of generic TV Guide show descriptions, and all you have to do is tell which show they are describing. Easy stuff!

Here’s your list of show descriptions:

1. The personal and professional misadventures of six friends in New York city.
  2. A close-knit group of housewives tries to cope with life in suburbia.
  3. A group of NYC detectives handles gruesome cases.
  4. A recently divorced fireman deals with pressures of the job and seeing his ex-wife date other men.
  5. The romantic and career misadventures of hospital interns.
  6. Assorted high-school misfits try to survive in the early ’80s.
  7. Through flashbacks, a father tells his children the story of how he fell in love with their mom.
  8. An spy learns he’s been burned, severing all ties between him and his government resources.
  9. Contestants vie to become America’s best dancer.
  10. A budding journalist winds up becoming a tutor after losing her job at a tabloid magazine.
  11. Survivors of a plane crash find themselves on a mysterious island.
  12. Mysterious portals allow prehistoric creatures to travel to present day.

Now tell us which shows you think they’re describing in the comments below.

13 Responses to “Friday Fun: Ramblings of a TV Guide”

Polter-Cow says:

Hee! What a great idea.

1. Friends
    2. Desperate Housewives
    3. Uh…every show on CBS? CSI: NY?
    4. Rescue Me

9. So You Think You Can Dance
    10. Privileged
    11. Lost
    12. Dr. Who

Alyssa says:

Agree with Polter-Cow, except on-
    3. Law & Order (all of them…)
    10. Privileged

Heh. Fun! Doing this from the home page where I can’t see anyone else’s answers…

1. Friends
    2. Desperate Housewives
    3. CSI: New York?? Could be SVU tho since they specified “gruesome”
    5. Grey’s Anatomy
    7. How I Met Your Mother
    8. Burn Notice
    9. So You Think You Can Dance
    10. Privileged
    11. Lost
    12. Primeval!!!!!!!!!

Oh, crap, Freaks and Geeks! That one’s obvious now that I think about it.

I was really stuck on the fireman one. I don’t watch Rescue Me but I should have been able to figure it out since it’s the only show focused on firemen. Dammit.

Does The Unusuals take place in NY? Are their cases gruesome? That seems more like a show Jody would pick out than CSI or SVU. :)

Scott says:

I’m going to go with Scrubs for #5

Polter-Cow says:

Yeah, my first guess was SVU, but I don’t know. The Unusuals is a good guess!

Oh… Scrubs is a good guess, Scott.

Just Jody says:

Ha! I don’t only pick shows I watch for these games Rae. Otherwise it would just be a Whedon game every week. ;) Actually… now that I look at it, I watch less than half of the above shows!

And good guess Scott. #5 is indeed Scrubs. I was wondering if anyone was going to realize that it wasn’t Grey’s!

One of you does have #2 right, but I’m enjoying the guessing too much to tell you yet!

Patty says:

That was fun. You need to do it more often. Now if I could only get over here before everyone else so I don’t see all the answers!

If four is actually Rescue Me, the Gavin’s have never actually gotten divorced yet. No other fireman show comes to mind for an alternative.

Just Jody says:

Rescue Me is the answer for #4. That’s one of the shows that I don’t watch, so I was unaware of the error. Shame on TV Guide.

Bonus points for Scooter for being smarter than TVG!

And Dudley’s Mom was the one who had #2 right – Law and Order: SVU was the show.