Pre-Sweeps Show Update

'This is SO going in my blog.'- Barney, HIMYMYou never post your thoughts any more
When I visit your blog
And there’s no clickety-clack like before
From your fingertips
You’re trying hard not to show it baby
But baby, baby I know it

You’ve lost that blogging feeling
Oh, that blogging feeling
You’ve lost that blogging feeling
Now it’s gone, gone, gone
Whoa-oh

Oh, it’s sad what I’ve come to… Bad song parodies about blogging! I’d apologize for cheating with the pictures and videos of the day but I can’t promise you’re going to get much more out of me at the moment. Still, sweeps are just about to begin and it felt like a good time to post an update on the shows I’m currently watching and how I’m feeling about each. And I’m curious to know what everyone else is watching, which shows you can’t wait to see each week and which ones are losing your interest. So check out my list below and leave me yours in the comments.

The Amazing Race: Eh. Watching. Enjoying. Not loving. Teams are really kind of bland this year. Also, am I going to hell for thinking Luke is kind of a dick?

The L Word: The show ended last night and I’m not nearly as upset as I should be. Not sure whether to be happy about that or annoyed.

Chuck: The one show I get excited about each week. Will be absolutely devastated if it doesn’t get picked up for another season.

The Big Bang Theory: Love it. Has become the show guaranteed to make me laugh week in and week out.

How I Met Your Mother: Still love these characters, not loving this season. Lots of little laughs, very few episode winners.

Heroes: Slowly but surely losing me. At this point I’m watching for the same reasons I kept watching Lost back in the day, I live in hope that it’ll get back to what I loved in season one. It’s not looking good at this point. It doesn’t help that all of the “heroes” I initially loved are dead or might as well be for as often as we see them.

The Closer: I really do enjoy this show. I’m sad that it was only back for such a short time and already gone again. The lack of something enjoyable like this show on Monday nights after Chuck is another reason I’m looking forward to the premiere of Castle. (See below for the other reasons.)

Reaper: The first half of the premiere was good. The last half? Not so much. I’ll stick around for now but only because there’s nothing else worth watching on Tuesdays at 8PM.

The Mentalist: Enjoying this one but not sure it’ll ever be one of my “go-to” shows.

Fringe: Why, Fox, why? I find it annoying that American Idol has to take precedence over all scripted shows. (Yes, I know it’s because of the killer ratings. I didn’t say I didn’t understand it, just that I find it annoying.) Anyway, this show hasn’t really become the must see I expected it to be for me but I do really enjoy it and I am feeling it’s absence in my schedule.

Privileged: I can’t decide if I’d be just as happy if this show didn’t return as I would if it did. There are a lot of things about the show that I adore but there are also some pretty big things that bug me. I keep waiting for it to get a little more depth and it keeps falling short. I can’t bring myself to care much about the pointless “to be continued” ending and I wonder if that’s a sign that I’m finally over the show itself?

Life: Love the characters on this show. Which is exactly how I feel about my USA shows. Even when individual episodes aren’t the best, I still have a good time hanging out with the characters. NBC, won’t you consider giving this show new life (ha!) on USA?

Lost: Love. The one show on my schedule that actually leaves me pondering plot points all week long and makes me want to seek out others to talk about it.

Top Chef: Worst. Season. Ever. So much so that I’m not sure I’ll watch again. I know the contestants they get change everything but these days all it takes is one season of me checking out for multiple episodes for me to drop a reality show. I think this is the latest one to get the boot. As they say on the show, you’re only as good as your latest meal.

Bones: I don’t even feel like I have a status on this one it’s been so long since I’ve seen a new episode. Plus, I hated the conclusion to the Grave Digger storyline so it feels like it’s been even longer since I’ve seen an episode I enjoyed. That said, I can’t wait for it to return because my other option at 8PM on Thursdays is sucking.

Ugly Betty: Yes, you heard me right. I may be ready to let Betty go. I don’t think the show has changed as much as other people do. In fact, I think just the opposite. I feel like nothing ever changes on this show and I’m over it. The secondary characters actually get more development than the main character. It’s a little ridiculous. I thought we were actually going somewhere with Betty getting into the whatever-program and when she and Hilda were fighting. But, as per usual, it all got solved way too easily and we’re back to Betty and whatever she has that makes good-looking guys fall all over themselves for her. And this time he’s rich too! Poor Betty, she’s got the hard life. NOT.

The Office: Here’s the thing. I still love some of the characters on this show and for them I still enjoy tuning in each week. But I find the show less and less funny with every passing episode. I know that’s partly because I don’t find much humor in Dwight or Michael Scott but I also feel like the show is just meandering. It makes me long for the days when I struggled over which show to watch first on Thursday at 9PM.

Supernatural: Love. I’m really enjoying this season and am looking forward to its return this week.

Grey’s Anatomy: Truth is, I enjoy this show as much now as I ever did. I think that makes unusual? But I never had the crazy love for it that others did. It’s just an enjoyable hospital drama that knows the right buttons to push and never fails to wring tears out of me.

Private Practice: This show less so. Storywise, I find it just as enjoyable as GA. Overall, I like more of the characters on this show than on Grey’s and, yet, I could give or take it.

ER: This show continues to work for me in the way it has always worked for me. I’ve really felt Abby’s absence and, if I’m honest, I’m not sure I’d have stuck with the show if I didn’t know it was coming to an end. That said, I really love where they’ve taken Archie and he’s gone from a character that grated on my nerves to being one of my favorites.

Burn Notice: Oh, show, I’ll miss you! Except I only have to miss it to June so that’s not bad. I didn’t love everything about the finale but the ending was fabulous and I can’t wait to see where they go with it in season three.

America’s Best Dance Crew: Yay, Quest Crew! Happy that they won and loved the combined Quest Crew, All-Star Strykers, and Dynamic Edition dance. That said, Beat Freaks were amazing throughout the competition and I’m confident the exposure from the show will only lead to good things for them.

Being Erica: Throwing this one in here too because I’m really adoring this Canadian show. I’m kinda happy some of my Thursday shows are tapering off so I can record and watch this one when it’s on instead of later in the weekend.

Dollhouse: I’m liking it. This past week was probably my favorite episode so far and I’m sure some of that has to do with it including scenes and dialog from the original pilot. I do not think Eliza is great in all her alternating roles but I dig her as Echo. Dichen, on the other hand, is great at switching in and out of the various parts but I don’t get much from her as Sierra. I figure it’s probably ok to feel this way about these two since Eliza as Echo is the more important story here.

Psych: Show! I miss you! Come back! Don’t make me wait until July! Please…

And there ya go… my TV week in brief. I’ve been recording Damages but can’t seem to work up the energy to watch. I’m not in the mood for much serious drama these days. Plus, I find that I enjoy it more when I can marathon the show. I am eagerly awaiting the return of Greek and I predict that Castle is gonna be a hit for ABC. I’m ignoring the complaints about chemistry (or lack thereof) from the critics because that’s such a subjective thing and they’ve all only seen one episode. It’s hard to truly judge whether two people have chemistry based on the very first time they’ve ever worked together. Since the promos make me want to watch and have lead to a number of my offline friends asking me about the show, I predict it’s going to appeal a pretty broad audience. A hot funny guy as the lead doesn’t hurt.

12 Responses to “Pre-Sweeps Show Update”

Wings says:

Oh, I think moving LIFE to USA would be a great idea! Much better to give it a chance on that network than to just cancel it outright. It is an awesome show!

deathisyourart says:

The two shows that I can’t wait for each week are Supernatural and Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Season 2 of TSCC started off shakey and a little dumbed down, but it has been getting progressively stronger over the last 6 episodes, and I love where the story is going. I am going to cry if Fox decides not to renew it. :(

Also, your formatting over at LJ is messed up. You have an LJ cut tag with no “text=” section.

Eolivet says:

I totally understand your feeling about Luke on TAR. Honestly, I should be thinking that myself — but I could take him or leave him at this point.

Can I get a big ol’ WORD about “The Office?” I’ve found this season decidedly unfunny — moreso than any other season. You’re definitely right about the meandering, as well. This season, I feel like the arcs are all character-based as opposed to plot-based (unlike Jim’s move to Scranton, which affected plot as well as character, y’know?)

WORD about Top Chef, too. What a horribly edited season. When editors makes the winner look like THAT? They need to get new editors. :/

And I know you don’t adore GA, but it’s still nice to hear you’re enjoying it. :D

I agree, Wings, and I can see it succeeding on USA since I think people who like Monk would enjoy it.

deathisyourart, thanks! Someone let me know on Twitter so I’ve fixed it but dunno if LJ will pick up the updated RSS or not.

I have heard that about SCC this season. I’m gonna have to pick it up during the summer since I got too far behind on it. Not sure how Fox is going to be feeling on it, though, with the ratings what they are right now unfortunately.

@eolivet: Haha, well I still picked Margie and Luke to come in first this week (they didn’t but I was rooting for them), I just think he’s kind of an ass to his mom a lot and I don’t feel like I should have to excuse that just because he’s deaf.

I agree with you about The Office, I think they need to find a good plot and stick with it for a few episodes. That’s when they’re strongest in my eyes.

As for GA, I just feel like it gets a lot of hate and I don’t think it’s changed as drastically as people think so much as… favorite characters have left maybe?

afrocurl says:

I will join you in weeping if Chuck doesn’t get picked up. But who knows with NBC this time around.

Life on USA would be a good fit. Though part of me feels like Charlie is the West Coast version of Goran from L&O: CI.

There was effort for me to get through the last three Ugly Betty episodes, but I think I’m just not in that mood right now.

Slowly and surely Dollhouse is growing on me.

Stella says:

LOL–I’ve also been amazed at the hotties the so-called “Ugly” Betty has managed to go through over the years. If only my love life were so lucky!

I’ve only caught one episode of The Big Bang Theory, but as soon as I get DVR it will become a regular. So funny!

I disagree with you on The Office–but perhaps that’s because I think Steve Carell is genius. I love how he manages to be a complete dolt and genuinely poignant in the same breath. I can’t stand Dwight–but that just means Rainn Wilson’s portrayal of him is so good.

I was over GA after season two…

You know, Roz, I’d even be happy if they keep it around for a mid-season replacement. Anything to get some more Chuck.

If I’m honest, I don’t think L&O: CI really belongs on USA.

The thing about UB is that I increasingly find myself doing other things while watching it… and more and more I don’t care if I miss something about the story.

Happy to hear DH is growing on you. :)

Stella, you and me both!! I think my real problem with it just comes from them falling back on that being Betty’s storyline.

Oh, I think you’ll love BBT once you get the DVR! It never fails to crack me up. And to think… I used to hate it!

Now, see, I love Steve Carell. He’s almost too good, I guess. Because I just get uncomfortable for Michael and it takes away from my enjoyment of the story. Ditto to what you said about Rainn. I do think he’s doing a great job with Dwight but that just makes it all the more difficult for me to watch Dwight scenes at times.

Haha and yet you continue to watch!! (GA that is.)

Harper47 says:

I have Lost and Supernatural as my absolute must see/can’t wait shows. And I adore Burn Notice and The Closer and can’t wait for Greek to come back again. I love my cable shows!

But as usual we do have some disagreements (hee!) Though I could not agree more about Top Chef. Worse waste of my time EVER.

Still I agree with dearthisyourart that TCC was terrific this week and I’m still loving How I Met Your Mother alot! I go back and forth on Greys and I still love my reality shows to death. Yes, they disappoint me and cheat on me (Hosea? Seriously?) but sometimes they have a gem of a season. Watching Jack, Kate and Rhys on So You Think You Can Dance Australia was just perfect. The top 3 really were the top 3. What a joy! When that works it just is so much fun. Watching little Atiu come back and win Cook Islands? I still rewatch that season. So while I’ll leave a boring reality season (Nick and Starr on TAR zzzzzzzzzzzzz.. . . . . . .) I always come back.

I’m not a fan of Luke either but the series has been harder this year and I do like that. Plus it’s the race. It’s just the thrill of the race.

I keep hoping the PTB will put Life on USA too. But I don’t hope too strongly. The jury is still out for me on Dollhouse but I haven’t seen this week’s episode yet either.

Just Jody says:

Not like I need to tell you this, but Lost is the one show I can’t live without these days. It consumes me all week long.

After that is Chuck – it may not consume my thoughts all week, but the love I feel for all the characters on that show is HUGE. And surprisingly, The Big Bang Theory has become my go-to laugher every week too. Also love HIMYM & 30 Rock.

I’m pretty much just holding out for the Mer/Der engagement on Grey’s. It doesn’t make me laugh or cry anymore and that’s what used to make me love it.

Enjoying Dollhouse more every week. Can’t remember the last time I watched Supernatural, but when they come back with new eps. I’ll be watching.

Sadly both BSG & L Word are winding down, as is my interest in them. Talk about going out with a whimper. (BSG still has 2 hours to redeem itself tho)
    Oh, and I adore Being Erica!