DR. HORRIBLE: Second Verse Even Better Than the First!

ACT II of DR. HORRIBLE\'S SING-ALONG BLOG is now up!

Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Act II is up and, I’ll be honest, I didn’t love it at first. A symptom of having watched Act I wayyyyyy too many times perhaps? Then I watched it again and again and again a few dozen more times. Now? I officially love more than Act I. Is that even possible?

Anyway, don’t take my word for it. You should go watch, you know, nowish. Then buy it on iTunes so you too can carry around it around in your pocket! Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Acts 1, 2 & 3

Dr. Horrible slinks into the scene to watch Captain Hammer and Penny in DR. HORRIBLE ACT II.I don’t have time to analyze why I love this act so much except to say that the awesomeness is in the details. All over the overlapping at the very beginning is a thing of beauty from the lyrics Penny and Dr. Horrible are singing to Dr. Horrible always lurking in the background. Like Dr. Horrible taking the place of the soup guy in the background. I was so focused on what Captain Hammer was doing in that scene that I didn’t even catch it until the second time we see him pour! And I loved the visuals when he’s on the bridge watching her watching Captain Hammer. Then there’s the fact that Dr. Horrible’s pictures of Penny are clearly taken from behind the bushes. You know you’ve got it bad when you’re stalking the girl! He really is a super-villain in the making.

Poor Dr. Horrible. Love that he didn’t even think about the fact that telling the world your plans via a blog probably isn’t the brightest idea. I do feel bad about his Freeze Ray. I told all my friends!! I hope he can get it working right. Even though he’s now moved on to killing someone per Bad Horse’s singing cell message.

Captain Hammer taunts Dr. Horrible in the laundromat in DR. HORRIBLE ACT II.I also pretty much loved everything about that last laundromat scene. From the two of them sitting on the top of the counter talking about his hopes and dreams to her singing to him on the bench to the “hammer” not being Capt. Hammer’s fists. Heh. Nathan plays in-love-with-himself very well. Is it wrong that even when he’s playing ass I still find him unbearably attractive? Damn him.

I could go on and on but I’ll just stop and pick some quotes at random, mm’kay? And, as always, be sure to share your favorite quotes in the comments below…

• “Listen to the close to everybody’s heart and hear that breaking sound. Hopes and dreams are shattering apart and crashing to the ground.”
  • “You’re kidding! What a crazy random happenstance.”
  • “Sometimes there’s a third, even deeper, level and that one’s the same as the top surface one.”>
  • “Peace! But, umm, not literally.”
  • “And now assassination is just the only way. There will be blood, it might be yours so go kill someone. Signed Bad Horse.
  • “Would you kill someone? To get into the Evil League of Evil?”
  • “I’m Dr. Horrible. I’ve got a PhD in horribleness.”
  • Dr. H: I’m not going to kill a little kid!
    Moist: Smother an old lady?
    Dr. H: Do I even know you?!
  • “How are things with Cheesy on the Outside?”
  • “Oh, goodness look at my wrist! I gotta go.”
  • “You look horribly familiar.”
  • “Who wants to know what the Mayor is doing behind closed doors?”
  • “Apparently the only signature he needed was my fist.”
  • “All the birds are singing that you’re gonna die!”
  • “It’s a brand new me, I got no remorse.”
  • “Go ahead and laugh. Yeah, I’m a funny guy.”

Ok, see, I wasn’t going to type all that! Damn you, Whedon brothers. Your evil plan take over the world by putting us all in a Horrible trance is working beautifully!

14 Responses to “DR. HORRIBLE: Second Verse Even Better Than the First!”

Just Jody says:

Dr. H: “And they’re probably going to French kiss or something.”

Just Jody says:

“Captain Hammer threw a car at my head” LOL!

Moist: “Is that the new catch phrase?”

Haha… I had that last one and then I took it out but it really is great. I love that Dr. Horrible was committing to the catch phrase… but now I want to know what the OLD catch phrase was. ;)

Gretchen says:

“It’s a brand new day/And the sun is high/All the bird’s are singin’/That you’re gonna DIE.” That last song was a thing of beauty.
    Also, I agree. I was unsure after the first couple of viewings, but now I’m on repeat mode and figuring out my theories for how it’s all gonna end.

Anita says:

Yeah, the first time I watched it, I was a little disappointed and was going, ‘That’s it? Part of it was just that I felt left hanging, but also that Part I was so great. I’m going to have to watch it several more times to see if I actually love it more than Part I…Right now I don’t think that’s possible though!

Definitely some great lines in it and I felt bad for Dr. Horrible that both the police and Captain Hammer watch his blog so they were anticipating his arrival at the crime scene! Poor wittle Dr Horrible!

Anita says:

Okay..now I’m at the point where I love it as much as the first part, but not more yet… Going to watch it again. I do love Dr. Horrible even more…I need a Dr. Horrible action figure to go with my Elle action figure I want to get!

I agree, Gretchen, I’m torn between the first song and the last one as to which I like the best. Dr. Horrible’s glee in the last one is pretty darn great.

You’ll get there Anita! I have faith. :)

Well, I felt bad for Dr. Horrible about them watching but… on the other hand, he’s clearly got an Internet following (ya think?!) so that’s nice. It’d kinda suck if he were a low-rent villain with no traffic on his blog.

Also, there should definitely be Dr. Horrible action figures.

Margaret says:

My pick for best quote: “I meant Ghandi.” :) And I liked this installment even BETTER on the first viewing.

Anita says:

Yes, it’s definitely great that Dr Horrible has an internet following on his blog..but the LAPD and his arch nemesis probably isn’t what he considers his target audience! HEE. Of course, it sounds like Bad Horse maybe watching his blog as well!

Btw, I do have to say that I love that Penny was aware that Bad Horse was the ‘Thoroughbred of Sin’ HEE!

I can’t pick between the first or last song yet though…the duet was great, but NPH pretty much rapping about giving up his morals and killing Captain Hammer? I’m not sure that can be beat!

Eolivet says:

For some reason, I found Bad Horse “still votes neigh” hilarious. But I’m a sucker for bad puns. ;p

And the second part of the “signature he needed was my fist” line — “holding the pen…which I used to sign it.” Hee!

“… the keys to a shiny new AUSTRALIA!”

Also? I want to randomly end sentences with “Signed, Bad Horse!”

karen tv junky says:

Rae,
    Our love for Joss knows no bounds, does it? I’m soooo right there with you.

Dr Horrible AND Captain Hammer action figures!! hehe

*hugs*
    Karen

[...] Infatuation is the only word to describe Rae’s feelings about Joss Whedon’s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and is trying to decide whether she likes Act I or II better while eagerly awaiting the third. (RTVW) [...]