Friday Fun: The DVD Shelf

Ahhh! New TV is over!! WHAT are we going to do now?? Well… we are going to watch old TV!

In honour of the end of the 2007-2008 TV season, we thought this would be a great time to look through the DVD Shelf and share some viewing suggestions to help our fellow TV lovers survive the long summer TV draught.

Feel free to be as descriptive as you like, offer explanations, and to give as many options as you see fit… we’re looking for you to pimp your favourite DVDs and shows, in the hopes that others will discover a gem or new fave too! So share away. And don’t worry if you don’t have an answer, there’s no requirement to complete all questions on this quiz. (Remember that we’re just talking TV DVD’s today.)

How many TV Shows on DVD/TV DVDs do you own? (roughly)
How often do you rent TV Shows on DVD?
TV DVD you are currently obsessing over?

TV DVD you watch the most often?
Other TV DVD’s that deserve honourable mention for repeat viewings?
TV DVD that you watch the least often?
Do you own any TV DVD’s that you’ve never watched?

TV DVD you plan to own next?
TV DVD you covet, but don’t know if you’ll ever own?
TV DVD you are most embarrassed to own (but love anyway)?

Favourite comedy series on DVD?
Favourite drama series on DVD?
Favourite sci-fi series on DVD?
Favourite action series on DVD?

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a laugh?
Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a cry?
TV series that you feel is the strongest over all seasons?
TV series that you had to own all of (despite having a weak season or two)?
TV series that you own seasons of, but don’t own the whole series?

TV Show on DVD with the best BFFs?
TV Show on DVD with the best family?
TV Show on DVD with the best romance?
TV Show on DVD with the best continuity?
TV on DVD that you recommend for a summer love affair?
TV on DVD that you believe no collection is complete without?

(See our answers in the comments below.)

13 Responses to “Friday Fun: The DVD Shelf”

These are hard!!! Sorry for my overlapping… I guess you can clearly see which shows I love the best.

How many TV Shows on DVD/TV DVDs do you own? 60-ish? Definitely over 50 but not by much.
    How often do you rent TV Shows on DVD? Regularly… I get 3 Netflix discs at a time and of the 3 at least 1 is a TV show (and, if I’m right in the middle of a series, usually all 3 of them are that show)
    TV DVD you are currently obsessing over? Vicar of Dibley and Wings

TV DVD you watch the most often? Hmmm, Veronica Mars & Dawson’s Creek
    Other TV DVD’s that deserve honourable mention for repeat viewings? Buffy & Angel (In truth, if these weren’t in repeats on TV, they’d beat out VM and DC as TV DVD I watch most often.
    TV DVD that you watch the least often? Supernatural & Gilmore Girls
    Do you own and TV DVD’s that you’ve never watched? Oh, ouch. The DVDs themselves you mean? Yes. Does watching the extras count? Because I think I’ve watched those on all of my various DVDs. But I bought Ugly Betty and Eureka and have yet to watch them.

DVD you plan to own next? S3 of The Muppet Show, Burn Notice, & Psych
    DVD you covet, but don’t know if you’ll ever own? Popular
    DVD you are most embarrassed to own (but love anyway)? I don’t really get embarassed about this stuff but maybe Animaniacs

Favourite comedy series on DVD? How I Met Your Mother (though Wings may win out over this, it’s just that I’ve just started that collection/re-watching)
    Favourite drama series on DVD? Dawson’s Creek
    Favourite sci-fi series on DVD? Buffy
    Favourite action series on DVD? Alias

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a laugh? Haha. Buffy “Something Blue” or Angel “Spin the Bottle” or Psych “Scary Sherry”
    Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a cry? Buffy “Becoming I & II” or Dawson’s Creek series finale
    TV series that you feel is the strongest over all seasons? Buffy
    TV series that you had to own all of (despite having a weak season or two)? Dawson’s Creek
    TV series that you own seasons of, but don’t own the whole series? Alias (this is cheating, because I want the whole series but I won’t pay the ridiculously high price for S4)

TV Show on DVD with the best BFFs? Veronica Mars or The OC
    TV Show on DVD with the best family? Gilmore Girls
    TV Show on DVD with the best romance? Dawson’s Creek
    TV Show on DVD with the best continuity? How I Met Your Mother
    TV on DVD that you recommend for a summer love affair? Psych, it’s light and fluffy and fun… perfect summer fare, no?
    TV on DVD that you believe no collection is complete without? Buffy, duh.

Just Jody says:

How many TV Shows on DVD/TV DVDs do you own? (roughly) 81

How often do you rent TV Shows on DVD? I never have, but I probably should

TV DVD you are currently obsessing over? Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I forgot how much I loved this show!

TV DVD you watch the most often? This is probably a tie between Buffy and Gilmore Girls

Other TV DVD’s that deserve honourable mention for repeat viewings? The OC

TV DVD that you watch the least often? I generally sell DVDs I’m not watching, and I just sold seasons 1 & 2 of Party of 5. I rarely rewatch Tru Calling.

Do you own any TV DVD’s that you’ve never watched? I’ve yet to watch season 1 of Avatar, or season 3 of Lost but I’m sure that I will at some point.

DVD you plan to own next? I’m waiting on the release of the final Avatar disc (July 29), and I’ve been hearing that So NoTorious is really funny so I’ve been considering that one. Anyone have any opinions on it?

DVD you covet, but don’t know if you’ll ever own? The Chosen Collection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

TV on DVD you are most embarrassed to own (but love anyway)? Charmed

Favourite comedy series on DVD? Friends

Favourite drama series on DVD? Gilmore Girls

Favourite sci-fi series on DVD? Firefly

Favourite action series on DVD? Alias

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a laugh? Buffy 4-09: Something Blue; Buffy 6-08: Tabula Rasa; Friends 8-09: ToW The Rumour; Charmed 5-20: Sense and Sense Ability

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a cry? Buffy: 5-16: The Body; Buffy 5-22: The Gift; Angel 5-12: You’re Welcome; Friends 6-25: ToW The Proposal

TV series that you feel is the strongest over all seasons? Buffy and Friends

TV series that you had to own all of (despite having a weak season or two)? Charmed, The OC

TV series that you own seasons of, but don’t own the whole series? The L Word, Veronica Mars (ducks the flying tomatoes)

TV Show on DVD with the best BFFs? I’m going to skip the obvious here (Friends) and go with Sex and the City. Those four girls are ALWAYS there for each other. Their bond often makes me weepy.

TV Show on DVD with the best family? Gilmore Girls

TV Show on DVD with the best romance? The L Word, Friends, Buffy, Sex and the City

TV Show on DVD with the best continuity? The OC

TV on DVD that you recommend for a summer love affair? Avatar: The Last Airbender. It may be animated, but I swear this show has it all… Friends, family, laughter, tears, action and amazing continuity throughout.

TV on DVD that you believe no collection is complete without? Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Haha, look at us with the same “laugh” episode!

Also, I should have included Avatar, the collections, as DVDs I covet. Also the Alias collection. If only I was rich…

Just Jody says:

I was laughing because the laugh eps. are also all the ones we watched when we were together!

K, I have an additional Q for you! (This is actually what got me started on this line of thought) Do you ever rewatch Wonderfalls? If yes, often or just occasionally?

I didn’t used to but I have lately re-watched a few episodes. I suspect because of PD and seeing something that reminds me of WF. I like to watch the pilot the most, though. Love the wax lion!

Sarah says:

How many TV Shows on DVD/TV DVDs do you own? 46
    How often do you rent TV Shows on DVD? A couple times a month
    TV DVD you are currently obsessing over? Angel

TV DVD you watch the most often? Veronica Mars
    Other TV DVD’s that deserve honourable mention for repeat viewings? Buffy, How I Met Your Mother
    TV DVD that you watch the least often? Prison Break
    Do you own any TV DVD’s that you’ve never watched? Survivor Season 1

TV DVD you plan to own next? Buffy Season 2,5,7
    TV DVD you covet, but don’t know if you’ll ever own? Angel
    TV DVD you are most embarrassed to own (but love anyway)? Survivor

Favourite comedy series on DVD? How I Met Your Mother
    Favourite drama series on DVD? Veronica Mars
    Favourite sci-fi series on DVD? Buffy
    Favourite action series on DVD? Alias

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a laugh? Slapbet – How I Met Your Mother
    Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a cry? Seeing Red or Becoming Part 2 – Buffy
    TV series that you feel is the strongest over all seasons? Buffy
    TV series that you had to own all of (despite having a weak season or two)? Gilmore Girls
    TV series that you own seasons of, but don’t own the whole series? Buffy, Friends, Charmed, LOST

TV Show on DVD with the best BFFs? How I Met Your Mother
    TV Show on DVD with the best family? Gilmore Girls
    TV Show on DVD with the best romance? Buffy
    TV Show on DVD with the best continuity? How I Met Your Mother
    TV on DVD that you recommend for a summer love affair? Veronica Mars
    TV on DVD that you believe no collection is complete without? Friends

Just Jody says:

Thanks. I’ve been on the fence about that one lately… it goes in the cart, it goes out of the cart. I have to agree about the awesomeness of that pilot.

Also, after some pondering (and comparing the pic of our DVD shelves), I have to say that you are WAY low on your DVD count! :D

HAHAHA… well I was using a picture to try and count but it’s hard! I can’t see everything perfectly. I’ll have to count when I get home.

Oh, “Slapbet” is a good one Sarah. I can’t see watching Prison Break much either. That’s why I just can’t buy it on DVD.

afrocurl says:

How many TV Shows on DVD/TV DVDs do you own? (roughly) 30
    How often do you rent TV Shows on DVD? Not very, if I’m interested I usually just buy it.
    TV DVD you are currently obsessing over? I’m waiting on Season 3 of Weeds so I can prep for Season 4 more than I should, but I’m doing Bones rewatch to understand the finale this season better.

TV DVD you watch the most often? Veronica Mars or The OC, I can’t tell at this point.
    Other TV DVD’s that deserve honourable mention for repeat viewings? The West Wing
    TV DVD that you watch the least often? Supernatural or Lois and Clark
    Do you own any TV DVD’s that you’ve never watched? I have yet to open Dexter S1 or Heroes S1 even though I bought them ages ago.

TV DVD you plan to own next? S3 of Weeds
    TV DVD you covet, but don’t know if you’ll ever own? Buffy–since I never really gave the show a good watch.
    TV DVD you are most embarrassed to own (but love anyway)? Lois and Clark

Favourite comedy series on DVD? Ugly Betty (I actually don’t think I own too many comedies on DVD.)
    Favourite drama series on DVD? The West Wing (later seasons are questionable, but still fine television.)
    Favourite sci-fi series on DVD? Torchwood
    Favourite action series on DVD? NA–I don’t think anything I could classify as Action floating around.

Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a laugh? Wonderfalls
    Favourite episode/disc you put on when you need a cry? Posse Comitatus (3.22)
    TV series that you feel is the strongest over all seasons? Bones
    TV series that you had to own all of (despite having a weak season or two)? The OC
    TV series that you own seasons of, but don’t own the whole series? Veronica Mars

TV Show on DVD with the best BFFs? Veronica Mars or The OC
    TV Show on DVD with the best family? The OC
    TV Show on DVD with the best romance? Friday Night Lights
    TV Show on DVD with the best continuity? All things considered (and ignoring one episode) The West Wing
    TV on DVD that you recommend for a summer love affair? The West Wing–it’s easy to get into if you don’t mind politics and the seasons go by very quickly.
    TV on DVD that you believe no collection is complete without? I don’t know–I don’t truly thing any of the ones I own need to be owned by everyone else.

Haha, Jo! 92 if you count my Neon Genesis Evangelion collection and, according to Wikipedia, it is a TV series so I guess I should count it??

82 if you don’t count it and that’s not counting things I have on my TV shelf that I don’t think count as TV on DVD as they are the Joss and Tim Creative Screenwriting DVDs or pilot episodes I’ve gotten for the blog/review. And, technically, I own 12 more because I still own my original Angel and Buffy DVDs plus the collections. However, I am likely giving those to Mona or Greg so I didn’t count them.

So, yeah, I was a little off. ;)

Spadada says:

I don’t own that many TV shows on DVD because I have this habit of lending them to people after I finish them and telling them to pass them along to someone else when they’re done. Hopefully I’ll never get a craving to re-watch Weeds or It’s Always Sunny in Philly or Grey’s Anatmony..

I used to rent TV on DVD all the time. I watched all of Sex & the City that way (VHS actually) and most of the HBO and SHOtime shows to be honest. Lately though I just download.

I am currently watching My Boys on DVD. I’m enjoying it but not as much as last week’s show: Friday Night Lights.

I bought Greek to watch one episode that I missed and then lend it to a friend. The other night I was bored and checked the special features. So glad I did. I can’t even explain how hilarious Clark Duke is and how much I wish there was a Clark Duke audio commentary on every episode.

Just Jody says:

Oh how I love DVD talk! You guys are really making me want to check out HIMYM again.

Spads – you have just illustrated why I now lend my DVDs in stages… one season at a time and it must be returned to get the next. With Lost I even started handing them out one disc at a time because people would keep the sets FOREVER, and I want to watch them too!

Rae – LOL!! You’re in DVD denial! I had to google Neon Genesis Evangelion to find out what it was. Is this something new or have you had it for a while? And I wouldn’t count the Creative Screenwriting DVD’s either, they weren’t actually on TV.

And since I think it’s so fun, and we’re talking DVDs – this http://www.dvdspot.com/ is a great site for keeping track of your collection. It has lots of fun features, but I do warn you that it also tells you how much your collection is worth and sometimes that can be a little shocking! Here’s my page http://www.dvdspot.com/frontpage.php?member=jls730