‘Shippy Poll: Most Overrated Couple

This poll thing is kinda fun and, unfortunately for all of you, potentially endless. Already two topics for new polls have Just Jody and I arguing (in a good-natured “we both have different opinions about a scene in one of our favorite shows” kind of way, not a “I hate you, you’re wrong!” kind of way) via email. Ahh, the things that get us through the work day.

Anyway, before we move on to today’s poll topic, let’s take a quick look back at last week’s. So, it seems the concensus on writers’ blogs vs podcasts is that more of you would rather read a blog (47%) or have a combo of the two (37%) than listen to a podcast (16%). That’s pretty much how I feel as well. I prefer the ability to read a blog with, perhaps, the occasional option of listening to a special edition podcast. It’s not that I don’t like podcasts, quite the opposite, it’s just that reading tends to be the easier and more flexible option for me.

Alright, now it’s time to tackle a subject I know ya’ll have strong feelings about: TV Couples. It seems like every show out there has at least one couple that it dotes on and this year’s season finales only illustrate my point. Each of the couples below had a role to play in the drama of their show’s finale this year. But which couple gets a little too much love?

Are one of these couples the most overrated couple on TV right now?

8 Responses to “‘Shippy Poll: Most Overrated Couple”

Just Jody says:

LOL! I still say it was stupid! :)

You know a couple is getting too much air-time when a die hard shipper is sick of them… and that’s me with Meredith and Derek. I love them both, I want them to be together forever, I think they’re soulamtes, and I’m so sick of their off-again/on-again ways that I hardly even care if they are together anymore. He better get back to that land before that look on her face gets down to her feet and she takes off is all I can say!

Carole says:

Oh gosh! I have no opinion! I don’t know if it’s sad, but seriously, maybe it’s because I dont care… the funny thing is Grey’s Anatomy is only show in the poll I watch! I try to think to a couple, but … nothing!

Stella says:

Meredith and Derek winning by a landslide… Quelle surprise! LOL!!!

Great poll idea, Rae!

Spadada says:

There is probably something wrong with me, but I still love Meredith/Derek. Maybe because for so long I was against it. But I do agree with Jody: it’s time to just keep these two together already. The back and forth needs to stop.

I noticed certain couples that can not be denied were left off the list. I am thankful for that. And I was surprised that I chose Betty/Henry over Lucas/Peyton. But I don’t care who Lucas or Peyton end up with. I love Betty and I want her to have some excitement in her life. Right now that means Gio for me and not becoming a Step Mom. Sorry. (Also, I think Betty and Henry were much cuter before they hooked up when they were just two nerds flirting at the office.)

Stella: I can’t take the credit… it was all Jody’s idea! I should do one with shows that are off the air beacuse I’m curious how that one would differ now that we’re not seeing couples being forced to together/apart for the sake of the story/drama and/or are not exposed to them every episode.

Kell: Wait, which couples that can’t be denied? We had a lot on the original list and then I pared it down so that it was kinda just the bigger couples of the moment and the ones I’ve seen debated most OR ones I’ve seen as taking over a show (as you know, I don’t really like my shows to be about couples unless that’s the original premise of the show).

Now, I can say that I also still love Meredith/Derek and was actually a little surprised at how over them everyone else is… I was just thinking about it the other day when I was reading reviews of the finale. I think, for me, some of it is simply that I have not seen Season 1 of GA and, in fact, not all of S2. So maybe I just haven’t had to deal with as much “will they/won’t they” stuff between those two? Having read Shondra’s blog entry for the season finale, I do think she wants them together and I can’t believe she’d write that scene expecting to break them up again. Because if anything (ANYTHING) happens to keep Derek away from Meredith at this point, I don’t think Meredith will ever take that chance again.

I also chose Betty/Henry. I think the finale left a sour taste in my mouth. And, Kell, you’re right… Henry and Betty were much better when they were just flirting. (Though I think they could have been good, if the writers hadn’t gone too far with the obstacle they put in their way.) I don’t like Gio as much as you but I definitely prefer him to Henry at this point. Really, though, I think they should get away from Betty and her love life being the central focus of her storylines.

Anita says:

I’ll admit that I’m ‘over’ Mer/Der because I don’t even watch the show and I keep hearing about them! Sort of like the CW’s promo strategy of trying to lure new viewers by focusing on Logan & Veronica’s roller coaster, even though it stressed out current viewers and new viewers weren’t invested enough to care whether or not Logan and Veronica got together! I don’t know if I’d ever watch GA, but the idea of their relationship sounds exhausting and I haven’t even watched the show! Hee.

[...] Who’s the most overrated couple on television today? Meredith/Derek or Henry/Betty? You tell us. (RTVW Online) [...]

[...] so last week’s poll was pretty popular and Meredith and Derek blew all the other couples out of the water, winning by [...]