Friday Fun: Name That Character

Friday Fun!Do you know what’s better than the Friday before a three day weekend? Yeah, me either.

This week’s Friday Fun item was inspired by one of Amanda the Aspiring TV Writer’s recent posts. In fact, some of these descriptions are lifted from that entry so wait until you’ve played the game before you go catch up on her blog. She wrote about the challenge screenwriters face in describing their characters. Now she’s specifically addressing the importance of these descriptions to the readers of a script and obviously it’s going to be a different story for the viewers, but it made me wonder if viewers would be able to match the initial description of some of their favorite characters to what we now see on our TV screens each week.

So how about a little matching game? Below I’ve got several characters and the actual character descriptions as seen in the script for the very first episode in which they appeared. Can you put the character together with his/her description?

List of Available Characters:
          (Scrubs) J.D. Dorian, Dr. Elliot Reid
          (Seinfeld) George Costanza
          (The Sopranos) Carmela Soprano
          (Ugly Betty) Betty Suarez, Daniel Meade
          (Veronica Mars) Veronica Mars, Celeste Kane, Sheriff Don Lamb

Character Descriptions:

1. 17, will be fine when he gets to college. That is little consolation today.
  2. 24, slight and nondescript in his short white sleeve shirt and black tie. A worker bee in a sea of worker bees. However, he has a hint of nonconformist in him. A little spike to his hairstyle. His tie is a little too thin. A small punk bracelet tucking out of his sleeve.
  3. 25, boyishly handsome, self-deprecatingly funny, likeable, and would probably be more self-confident if he realized any of that.
  4. 26, an attractive, extremely driven young woman, so much so that she seems to live at a slightly quicker pace than normal humans. She’s also the type of girl that could make the world stop if she let her hair down.
  5. 30, polished, masculine, incredibly handsome. Very JFK Jr.
  6. 31, a white man’s nightmare, a black man doing life in a prison with nothing to lose and mean as hell.
  7. 32, all tats and wiry muscles. He moves around the track slowly, methodically. A caged lion.
  8. 32, devilish, lives on steaks and cigars.
  9. 34, dressed in an Armani suit, golden boy, a star.
  10. 38, brilliant but scarred, wields the truth like a sword – and isn’t afraid to cut you. He speaks and thinks quickly – and doesn’t wait for others to catch up.
  11. 40, intimidating, gruff, oddly unsettling inappropriate smile.
  12. 42, glamorous, icy.
  13. A glamorous woman in her late 30′s.
  14. Bright, funny, and will one day be suave and handsome. Till that day arrives, he’ll do the best he can with bright and funny.
  15. Future Senator or cautionary tale.
  16. Late 30′s. BEAUTIFUL and immaculately PUT-TOGETHER, she enters with a confident air.
  17. Mid-30′s, a kind face, a little innocent.
  18. Mid-30′s, dark-eyed, dark-haired, pretty woman with blonde hi-lites. Hi-lites and nails are a priority.
  19. One of the most beautiful faces you’ve ever seen. But the first thing you notice is the soulfulness behind this girl’s gaze.
  20. Overweight. Bushy unibrow. Coke bottle glasses. Hairspray caked bangs. If beauty is defined by symmetry, she looks like a bomb went off at Disney Hall.
  21. She is not cute. She is sexy. Tough. Prematurely jaded. Angelina Jolie at 17.
  22. Simultaneously handsome and awkward, about 30 years of age.
  23. Slightly insecure, has an opinion on everything. He lives life at a higher intensity level than his best friend.
  24. Strikingly handsome, with intelligence and a kind of distance in his eyes. Moves with a fighter’s grace.
  25. Young, loose and fast, 18-ish, biker type meets trailer park.

12 Responses to “Friday Fun: Name That Character”

Gretchen says:

Awesome, Raelee! I’m working on my answers right now.

Gretchen says:

Okay, so I guessed on a lot more of these then I initially thought, but here’s what I got.
    1. Xander
    20. Betty
    21. Veronica
    22. George C.
    23. Angel
    24. Peter
    25. Faith

Haha, well there are several that are similar enough to cause trouble. The good news is that you have more right than wrong! Here’s the ones you got wrong, if you want to try ‘em again:

1, 3, 5, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24

Polter-Cow says:

She is not cute. She is sexy. Tough. Prematurely jaded. Angelina Jolie at 17.
    CHEATING! Hee.

Polter-Cow says:

Oh, wait, are all of these the ACTUAL character descriptions from the original scripts? I thought they were made up. Except for Veronica’s, which I obviously recognized.

Yes, P-C, actual descriptions!! That’s why I am kinda limited as to what shows/characters I have… could only use ones that I had those scripts for.

Just Jody says:

I really should be working, but that’s boring, so instead I’ll play. I must say it’s tricky when you don’t know who some of the characters even are.

1. Dan Humphrey
    20. Ugly Betty
    21. Veronica Mars
    22. Daniel Meade
    23. George Costanza
    24. Angel
    25. Faith

Nice, Jo! I think almost all of the ones you got wrong are characters I know you aren’t familiar with or descriptions that can be a little decieving (as in, too generic or because the character as we know him/her today doesn’t perfectly fit how he/she was first described).

Here are the ones you got wrong, if you wanna try to just re-guess those: 3, 5, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18

Spadada says:

I am dying to see the answers. Here’s my best guesses. Though it’s really hard to get the image of the actor who plays the role out of my head. But I tried. If I don’t at least get a passing grade I should probably quit my job.

1. Dan Humphrey
    22. Ned
    23. Chuck Bass
    24. Angel
    25. Faith

How’d I do?

Spadada says:

At the last minute I changed Barney and Daniel and Lamb around. All wrong! I also did not see anything resembling Chuck Bass in any of those descriptions and thus ended up choosing the one that actually describes George. LOL.

OK, so based on your response to Jody, this is the answer key:

1. Dan Humphrey
    20. Betty Suarez
    21. Veronica Mars
    22. Daniel Meade
    23. George Costanza
    24. Angel
    25. Faith

Well, I got more than 50% correct and my last minutes switching around and re-thinking cost me a lot. Still, lots of fun. Thanks!

Nope, you’re answer key is a little wrong too, Kell. You only got 9 wrong on your first try and a lot of those were just because once you get one wrong, two are wrong and then the descriptions left strangely could fit multiple.

Also, it’s not a reflection of you and casting abilities at all! I’m sure in some cases the network may have asked for younger people (Gabrielle is listed as late 30′s even though we know she ends up being a lot younger than that) or someone was allowed to come in and read who was good enough that they wanted him/her (see: Muhney as Lamb – also a lot younger than his description).

Anyway, in your answer key you’ve got a few of them mixed around:

3. JD Dorian not Ned
    5. Daniel Meade not JD
    13. Gabrielle Solis not Carmela
    18. Carmela Soprano not Gabrielle
    22. Ned not Daniel

Spadada says:

9 wrong? That means I got 16 right? What grade is that? 64%? That’s passing in some states.