Ranking the New Shows of the Season

November sweeps are over and we’ll be heading into repeats soon. It seems like a good time to take a look back at how the new shows of the season are faring so far. A few weeks ago, Scooter polled a few TV bloggers to find out which were our favorite new shows of the season. Below are the top 10 shows according to Dan, Ducky, Kath, Jo, Liz, Rae (me!), Sandie, Scooter McGavin, Tube Talk Girl, TVFan, and Vance:

Note: Numbers in (parentheses) denote first place votes and those in bold indicate my votes.

1. Pushing Daisies – ABC (8)
  2. Chuck – NBC (2)
  3. Dirty Sexy Money – ABC
  4. The Big Bang Theory – CBS
  5. Gossip Girl – CW
  6. Aliens in America – CW
  7. Samantha Who? – ABC
  8. Moonlight – CBS (1)
  9. Reaper – CW
  10. Journeyman – NBC

Other shows that received votes: Life, Woman’s Murder Club, Private Practice, Bionic Woman, Cane

In the time since I submitted my answers, my first place choice has changed from Pushing Daisies to Chuck. I still love PD to pieces but it’s Chuck I wait for each week. It saddens me that Life didn’t make the top ten because I still think it’s one of the best new shows of the season and it easily ranks as #3 on my list and, while the group put DSM in third place, I actually dropped it from my schedule just this past week. I like the show but, after finding my interest receding more and more each week, I finally decided that it’s one of those shows I can wait to catch in reruns. I also can’t believe Moonlight made the list over other shows. Don’t get me wrong, I understand what people like about it but it’s still not a great show. The groan-worthy moments far outweigh entertaining ones.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks, eh? Which makes me wonder, what are your favorite new shows of the season?

17 Responses to “Ranking the New Shows of the Season”

afrocurl says:

Do I have to rank order mine? I’ll have to go with Pushing Daisies, Chuck, Gossip Girl and Moonlight. Not that all of them are stellar TV, but I look forward to them each week for various reasons.

deathisyourart says:

Life is the only new show that I am still watching. :)

RikerDonegal says:

Like everyone else, I have to say that Pushing Daisies is the show that has impressed me most. But, after that, my views differ from most people. I think Cavemen is funny and clever. I love it. I’m also a fan of K-Ville. It’s exactly the sort of cop show I like to watch: lots of action, good buddy chemistry and a nifty spin on the forumla. In terms of creativity, I think this has been a great season. But, in terms of ratings, the shows I love are mostly dying. Sigh.

Here’s how I rank the Top 9:

Sam Who
    Dirty Sexy Money
    Private Practice
    Pushing Daisies
    Reaper

Marcia says:

I’ve become a huge Chuck fan and look forward to it every week, much more so than Pushing Daisies. I watch and enjoy PD, but I just can’t seem to feel the love that everyone else feels. I keep watching for Emmet, Ned and the cinematography, and the rest I could easily leave. I’d still include it in my best of the new shows, though, along with Gossip Girl.

I haven’t had any interest in Dirty Sexy Money since the pilot, but I suspect I’ll be watching it once the new shows have dried up. My first impression was that it was competent but dull, but lots of people seem to like it, so I’m willing to give it another chance.

Just Jody says:

1. Chuck
    2. Gossip Girl
    3. Dirty Sexy Money
    4. Samantha Who
    5. Bionic Woman (I actually think this show sucks, but I keep watching, so it gets the last spot by default.)

And those are the only new shows I’m still watching. Thank goodness for Josh Schwartz this season!

[...] is reporting that NBC has given Chuck and Life full season pickups. This just after I admitted these are two of my top three new favorite shows this season. [...]

Given my weighted, extremely complex scale, the only reason Moonlight is on the list is because one person gave it a first place ranking, which was the only vote the show got. And since everything not named Pushing Daises and Chuck were pretty log-jammed together, had the person given it just a second or lower, it may not have even appeared on the list.

Sandie says:

It’s ok Scooter, you can say it was me who put “Moonlight” in the first spot ;-)

And it really is my favorite new show this season, even above “Pushing Daisies.” I realized that I was way more excited to watch it every week than I was for any other new show, so there you go.

And Rae, I don’t understand why you don’t love “Moonlight”… I don’t know if I can talk to you anymore… lol

Haha, Sandie. I knew it was you!

And, hey, I do understand why you like it. If they got rid of the voiceovers, it’d be a lot higher on my list because those are really what make me consistently roll my eyes. Please don’t stop talking to me!!! I still love Alex… that counts, right? ;)

Anita says:

1)Chuck
    2)Pushing Daisies
    3)Moonlight

Those are the only new shows I’m watching and other than that it’s Dexter, Heroes, Supernatural and Battlestar Galactica. I dropped Bionic Woman half way through the pilot and haven’t been interested enough to force myself to try and watch it again. I haven’t watched the pilots of the other new shows, although I’ve heard good things about Dirty, Sexy Money and Samantha Who? I plan to watch (or at least try) Sarah Connor Chronicles when it starts up as I heard its light years improved from the initial pilot episode that was written, but that’s the only ‘mid-season’ show that interests me.

Sandie says:

Ok so maybe the Alex bit makes up for it a bit ;-)

Thanks, Sandie… and, hey, clearly Moonlight deserves to be on the list. Look how many of my commenters have it listed too. People like it. Can’t argue with that.

Roz: Doesn’t matter if it’s stellar TV as long as you are enjoying it. :)

Riker: Glad to hear someone is enjoying K-Ville! If it sticks around, I do plan to go back and get caught up on it. If my Mondays weren’t overflowing, I’d probably be watching it now.

Mary: Impressive list… and, hey, I can’t complain when you have two of my favorites in your top three!

Marcia: I think DSM does get better and, if you get drawn into the family, it’s a good show. I think it was just too many people for me to juggle and I’m already keeping track of several shows with huge casts. One of them was bound to start losing my interest.

Jo: Ha. You just don’t want to let go of BIONIC WOMAN, eh? I’m kinda glad that my DVR didn’t record it the third week because I think that’s the only reason I’m not still watching myself.

Scooter: Ahh, well, as I told Sandie, clearly it should be there since so many other people do have it in their lists as well. It’s got something that draws people in.

Anita: I think you’d like Samantha Who. I plan to give SCC a try as well. I’m still not sure about it but by that point I’ll be out of anything else to watch anyway.

Harper47 says:

Moonlight, Gossip Girl and Chuck are by far my favorites.

I just dropped Reaper last week and already dropped PD, DSM, etc.

I honestly would have a hard time choosing between these three as I love them all in very different ways.

I’ve heard only good about Life and plan to watch it on DVD some day. Just couldn’t fit into a crowded schedule this fall.

I also love Journeyman but I’m sure it’s going to be axed so I’m trying not to care too much. But it’s been completely engrossing.

Rose says:

My #1 choice is definitely Chuck. It’s the only show I find myself not erasing from my DVR and watching it Mondays and Saturday nights when it reairs on NBC (yes, I know I’m supposed to go out on Saturday nights) Pushing Daisies is creatively brilliant but I don’t find myself as invested in the characters as I am in Chuck. I am so not happy with Reaper- it was in my top 3 but has been waning down my list each episode (am I the only person who is urked by Brett Harrison’s whiny, squeeky, mumbly voice?! If it weren’t for Ray Wise and Sock I wouldn’t even bother recording it) I haven’t seen Moonlight but will watch it now because of the rabid fanbase that pops up everywhere lol, but my top 10 are as follows:
    1. Chuck
    2. Pushing Daisies
    3. Samantha Who
    4. Life
    5. Gossip Girl
    6. Journeyman
    7. Aliens In America
    8. Big Bang Theory
    9. Reaper

and I can’t think of a 10th so I’ll leave that space for Moonlight if I like it ;)