Monday Mish Mash: From ‘Moonlight’ to ‘BB8′ to Summer TV

I spent the weekend running around like chicken with her head cut off which means I watched very little TV. Therefore, This post will be filled with the random TV talk that piles up in my head:

• CBS is really pushing Moonlight. Do you think that’s Joel Silver’s doing? I guess it’s just because I watch a lot of CBS during the summer but I swear I see the Moonlight promo every time I turn the TV on. The only other CBS show that’s getting as much play is The Big Bang Theory. (Note: It’s possible that they’re all getting the same ad time and I just happen to be watching the shows that reach the most desirable demographic for Moonlight and TBBT. I just think it’s interesting because I didn’t expect Moonlight to be out there in the spotlight as much as it is. Of course, all these ads and still no JD in sight. Is that too much to ask?
  • Over at TVCH there’s a debate waging about whether the Amber ANTM sequence on BB last night was cruel or not. I gotta be honest, I thought it pretty hilarious and that they were just showing her for who she is… Talk about delusions of granduer! I actually can’t believe how many people actually think it was cruel. I guess I feel comes across as good natured teasing of someone who’s oblivious than cruel. What say you?
  • I hear that Reaper is one of the most buzzed about shows of the Fall. Why? Do people truly love it or is it Kevin Smith’s involvement? The comparison between it and Chuck continue to bug me because, beyond the fact that the main characters both work in retail stores, I really don’t see how they are anything alike. But I wonder… does it matter which you see first? Because I saw Chuck before Reaper and I think the former is the better show. Zac Levi is much more appealing to me than Bret Harrison and I feel like Reaper doesn’t know what it wants to be. I suppose I’ll just have to wait and see how the ratings shake out but I wish I could see what everyone else does. (Don’t get me wrong, I liked Reaper and I’m eager to see if the uneveness I saw in the pilot goes away in the second and third episodes but Chuck made me want a new episode immediately.)
  • I should do a writeup about summer TV now that it’s wrapping up but I think I’ll just summarize in a bullet instead. Burn Notice and Psych remain my two favorite summer shows. I like Army Wives and Side Order of Life but I don’t rush to watch them each week like I do with Burn Notice and Psych. Out of my reality shows, I think Top Chef wins out. I think that comes down to casting, though, as I’d be obsessing over Big Brother 8 if I actually liked any of the people on it. I liked So You Think You Can Dance but I wasn’t overly invested. There were weeks when I’d miss it and I deleted those episodes from my DVR without watching ‘em.  Hmm, what else? Was that really all I was watching? I could swear I’ve been trying to juggle more shows than that. ETA: Oh, no, I forgot Flipping Out! Ok, that’s my second favorite reality show of the summer. All because Jeff Lewis is the best kind of insane that there is!
  • Back when I previewed the new Fall shows back in May, I said this about Kid Nation: “Umm. This show makes me a little uncomfortable. I won’t be watching but it’ll be interesting to see who does.” Later I watched the preview for it with my friend Greg and I remained uncomfortable with it but he admitted that CBS might have drawn him in despite his goal to give up on reality TV in the Fall. Now the whole thing is blowing up in CBS’ face and I can only shake my head. Of course, in the end, it’s probably just going to translate to more people tuning in to watch the train wreck in progress. The thing that I don’t get is why you would ever sign your kid up for something like that?? Seriously, aren’t the parents just as much at fault for negligence as CBS? Not saying CBS should just be able to shift the blame back to the parents but I think the press should be questioning what kind of parent agrees to something like that in the first place. I’ll have to keep my eye on the news since there’s a kid from right down the street particpating. I wonder what his/her parents will have to say when the show premieres.

Whew, well at least that pile isn’t quite so high now. In other news, I’m working with some blog contributors to put together some group pilot reviews. Just in time since the Fall TV season starts in just a few weeks!

13 Responses to “Monday Mish Mash: From ‘Moonlight’ to ‘BB8′ to Summer TV”

I guess I need to watch more CBS because I haven’t seen too many previews for Moonlight, yet. Then again, I’ll gladly take any and all press that this show gets because it means that there’s a bigger change of JD staying on my TV screen.

I don’t remember if I saw Chuck before Reaper or not, but I preferred Chuck. I suppose I should say that I liked both shows, but Chuck was something that I’m going to make sure I watch.

Slightly related–do you know when iTunes is going to update the TV shows for the Fall season? I want to know what shows are available that way?

I haven’t seen too many Moonlight previews, but I guess I need to watch more CBS to see them. However, I won’t complain about the heavy ad blitz it if means that JD is on my screen more.

I can’t remember if I liked Chuck more than Reaper because of the order I watched them in or not. Oh well.

cdn_tvaddict says:

I totally agree with your Chuck vs. Reaper assessment. I don’t think the comparisons will really continue once more people have seen whole episodes of both shows.

I can’t wait for Chuck!

You know, I don’t think I’ve seen a single Moonlight promo. Of course maybe that’s because I don’t watch CBS.

It is interesting that I see more people say that Reaper is getting good buzz than people actally giving good buzz about Reaper. And from what I have seen, I agree, “Reaper doesn’t know what it wants to be” as they haven’t decided if they want to rip of more: Ghostbusters or Army of Darkness.

Anita says:

I’ve seen a lot of Moonlight promos, but that’s because I watch Letterman and Craig Ferguson. I definitely think CBS wants it to be a success as not only are they positioning between two strong shows (Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs), but both shows shows also will have their premiere on the same date as Moonlight.

I can’t wait until the advanced screening where I finally get to see JD!

As for the summer shows..I watch shows like Forensic Files during the summer..Hee.

As for Chuck vs. Reaper, Chuck sounds a lot more interesting to me and based on the promos, I’ll probably give it a chance. Reaper didn’t really grab me at all.

Lisa says:

I totally agree with you about Amber and the comedic editing the other night! I thought it was hilarious, and I’m not a mean-spirited person. As you said, they were just showing Amber in the REAL light. It was one of the best pieces of creative editing I’ve seen on BB in awhile!

Roz: Well, you do sorta have to be watching the shows on the network to catch ‘em. I’ve seen ‘Moonlight’ promos at the end of shows (while credits are rolling) and several mixed into the middle. I did forget that ‘Kid Nation’ is the other one they are pushing but I think I block that one out because I find it distasteful. ;)

Oh and I’m happy for the press it’s getting, I was just a bit surprised. I think I’ve realized that CBS really doesn’t have that many new shows, though, so maybe that’s why it feels like it’s getting more than shows on other networks get?

I agree with you about ‘Chuck’ and sadly don’t know the answer to the question about iTunes. Unless the network decides to offer the first episode for free as a preview, they typically add the shows to iTunes after that first week. I think it depends on the networks deal with iTunes. I fully expect to see the NBC shows pretty quickly and probably ABC’s shows. Not so sure about CBS.

Jo: True. Right now the comparisons are based on the fact that a few things in their pilots seem to coincide when it’s obvious that the premises of the shows are completely different.

And, yes, you do have to be watching CBS to see the promos ;) and I watch it LIVE as well so that helps… I’m never fast-forwarding through any promos.

Haha, Scooter, so true! I guess that’s part of what has me puzzled as well. Where is all this great buzz for ‘Reaper’?! I don’t even see as many promos for it that I do for ‘Chuck’. Really, Ghostbusters? I don’t really see that.. although I guess some of the humor. Maybe whether it wants to be dark humor vs light humor? My problem was that I felt like it didn’t know whether it wanted to be serious or not or whether it wanted to be supernatural or more realistic.

But see, Anita, that’s what I’m saying… I’m seeing the ‘Moonlight’ promos on Big Brother and the shows that surround it (I often forget to change the channel after the show). Plus I saw it several times during the CBS comedies last night too. So, overall, it’s getting a lot of play.

You lucky duck with the advanced screening! I can’t wait to see what you all think of it.

Haha, I actually watch a lot shows like that during the summer as well. I can spend the whole day watching stuff on TLC, HGTV, BRAVO, etc.

Lisa: Well that makes me feel better! Not that I really felt all that guilty about it anyway. I mean, it’s how I’d react if one of my friends truly thought they could be on ANTM so I can’t see acting any different with Amber.

C’mon, the Ghostbusters rip-off is so obvious from their get up which is the Ghostbusters uniform but with color to the dust-buster this is a complete rip-off of the thing the Ghostbusters used to contain the spirits. The compairison though was in no way meant to include the humor because Ghostbusters was most high brow humor as they were professors and the Reaper dudes are moron. Oh and of course Ghostbusters is laugh out funny while Reaper only has a few chucklers.

Dues to my lack of summer watching I have been seen almost no promos for anything except for Damages and Nip/Tuck that FX puts on ad nasium during Rescue Me and Pushing Daisies is starting to get, um, pushed during Greek.

afrocurl says:

I would need to be watching TV, Rae, you are correct. I suppose I need to get over my massive collection of DVDs and start watching live again? ;)

Regarding iTunes, that makes sense, but I’m still being a greedy person and wondering. It would help too much right now since I’m almost broke, but whatever.