Fans Can Be Pretty Awesome

VM Fans Raise Money for Invisible Children
First, a little self-promotion… if it can even be called that since I gain nothing more than satisifaction out of the whole thing. Remember the Veronica Mars Invisible Children t-shirt fund raiser I mentioned last month?

In just under a month, we’ve managed to raise $530!

And that doesn’t count money that fans have donated directly to IC on their own. I dunno, I think it’s kind of awesome. Makes me proud to be a part of the VM fandom.

Anyway, we’re still open for business if you’re interested in a shirt. I’ve gotten my shirts and impressed with Printfection’s printing job. Plus, I’ve added coasters, mousepads, a jumbo bag, and small cutting board for those who want to get something but don’t want a t-shirt.

PS: Does anyone know a valid fanmail address for Ryan Hansen? I have a card telling him how fans have come together to raise money for the organization and thanking him bringing IC to our attention.

Moving onto Supernatural fans and TWO campaigns they are currently running that are pretty freakin’ awesome.

OPERATION: WINCHESTER
Operation: Winchester is a project that aims to support the hard-working troops overseas by sending them care packages that include a few of the comforts of home, along with copies of the “Supernatural” Season 1 DVD sets.

So, basically, not only are they giving our troops something to look forward to but they’re promoting Supernatural at the same time. If you want to get involved, choose a contact from AnySoldier.com and send that person a DVD set along with other items that are likely to brighten your soldier’s day (lists of these items are actually provided with each contact on AnySoldier.com). Also, be sure to include a letter explaining Operation: Winchester and why you’re sending them the DVD set. Pretty simple, huh?

For more information on what to do and where you can find S1 DVD sets on sale, check out the Operation: Winchester website!

FANDOM ROCKS
Fandom Rocks is a fan-run initiative to raise funds and awareness for charities around the globe. Supernatural fans ask you to join them in supporting the fan selected charities which change every six months.

The inaugural charities for Fandom Rocks are the Lawrence Community Center and SOS Children’s Villages. You can either donate directly to the charities or you can contribute by purchasing items from the Fandom Rocks online store.

For more information about Fandom Rocks and how you can get involved, be sure to visit them online or at !

23 Responses to “Fans Can Be Pretty Awesome”

spectralbovine says:

Very nice! I’ve been meaning to buy a My Pretty Pony shirt, but I’ve ALSO been meaning to ask you, Designer Extraordinaire, what color combination you recommend (for the light shirt; I don’t feel like paying for the dark shirt, especially when you don’t get the neat silhouette on the back).

Aww! And my favorite combos are the dark colors. (I mostly just like the brown with the MPP logo colors for some reason.)

Of the color options for the regular t-shirt, I like that logo on the Stone Blue, Sand (or Natural), and Ice Gray the best. Although, I just got one on the women’s equivalent of the Sport Grey so if you wait for me to get my shirt (probably Thursday), I can let you know if I like how it looks on that too.

I actually like it on the Vegas Gold too but I’m not sure what the yellow will look like on that one once it’s printed. It seems ok in the picture but I wonder if, in actuality, it clashes a bit?

Heh. I really narrowed down the choices, eh?

westcoastlovin says:

I thought you’d appreciate my squeal of excitement over the fact that it looks like I may actually get them to come to Boise on their tour this spring and present to some church groups. And I’ll be their contact! Woo!!!

I still have to buy a shirt… I keep forgetting. I also need to get a new bracelet because mine broke. (Stupid Ugandan child workers. Hee.)

hanncoll says:

Thank you so much for letting your readers know about OpWin! I actually had an email back from an OpWin recipient in Iraq yesterday. I think my squee attained supersonic frequencies at that point. *g* Anyway, the first wave of packages are starting to arrive, so yay!

spectralbovine says:

It really looks good on Stone Blue? It seems like it’s a little on the dark side and may make it hard to see the logo and text.

Thanks for the suggestions!

spectralbovine says:

Dude! Cool! You rock.

That is fucking awesome!!! You know what’s funny… when I was watching the DVD that came with my bracelet (which I almost broke when I got it wet and then tried to force bigger so I could get it off my wrist), I was thinking that the work they are doing is totally right up your alley.

Yeah, I wondered about the darkness too but I don’t think it’s actually that dark in reality. I wish there were a blue in between the stone blue and the light blue

You’re welcome! It’s a great cause and I did see your post about the first recipient. That’s so cool. I can’t wait until you hear from more recipients.

showmewrtr says:

Oh that’s super. I was wondering today how much had been raised. (Since I’m wearing my shirt). That’s great news!!!!

schnappycat says:

Do you have maternity shirts? LOL! Anyhow, congrats on doing such a fab job. They really do look great. :)

spadada says:

We are mind-melded. Just last night I was driving around thinking I should do some pimping for your store! Did you post this in c_w or v_m? Do you want me to? I will update the page with the totals soon. CONGRATULATIONS on work well done :D

Heh. You jest but CafePress totally has maternity shirts now! They’re kind of funky looking when you add designs but I’m guessing they’ve had people asking for them.

And, thanks! :)

Aww! I just wore mine yesterday which is what made me think about it. Anyway, thanks! You helped get us there so I should be congratulating you. ;)

schnappycat says:

Ha, that’s funny. I could just buy a larger shirt for quite awhile, I’m sure. I still might if I could decide on one.

We have a connection! ;)

Ummm. I don’t know the answer. I don’t remember pimping in either c_w or v_m but I think [info]frankdbunny might have? I was thinking that maybe now would be a good time to hit up some of the media contacts? Just the ones we talked about before but having the totals on WVM would be great! I updated the store page today and added it there as well.

I’m gonna send an update to Invisible Children on the 15th (the one month mark). That’s not related to anything but saying it will help me remember. ;)

roniabirk says:

Thank you for mentioning Fandom Rocks! We had a huge couple of days and reached our one month goal this morning – about 4 days ahead of schedule. =D

has more details than the web site right now because I didn’t have time to update both.

spadada says:

Cool. I will draft an email to the media for your consent. That way we can just use the bcc list in the “looktotheskies” account. But I can also send you the list so that you have it for any future stuff.

Oh, you’re welcome. I’ve been meaning to post about it forever and got caught up in things. That’s awesome that you’ve reached your one month goal so soon!!

I added the comm to my post so people know to check there too. :)

frankdbunny says:

I pimped it in c_w back when the project first started, and someone who isn’t me (don’t remember who, maybe [info]snarktastic?) pimped it in v_m around the same time. An update post isn’t a bad idea, especially since you’ve added some non T-shirt items.

And I don’t know anyway of getting ahold of Ryan Hansen, but I love that you’re sending him a card. I know he’ll be touched.

And YAY for $530! It makes me proud of the fandom, too.

Okie doke. Sounds good to me!

Ahh, thank you, I couldn’t remember if it was you who posted to v_m or not. You’re right, I probably am safe to go ahead and post again with the amount we’ve raised and the note that I added a few extra things to the store.

Aww, thanks. I’ll find a way to get it to him. I have a few people I can probably ask while I’m at Comic Con.

westcoastlovin says:

My life would pretty much be perfect if I could work for a group like them.