They can’t take away his skills…

Casting News: So, J’Doh apparently got himself a fancy new role or something. Some little birdie (or everyone on the Internet) might have whispered it in my ear. I’m happy for him. I stick by my original opinion of Moonlight, though. Until I’ve seen that Greenwalt has worked a miracle on what he inherited, I think this show has a lot to overcome and I don’t really know that the viewing public, at large, is ready to embrace a show about a vampire PI. For Jason’s sake, I hope Greenwalt’s changes are going to prove me wrong and blow me away.

New Tonight: USA’s Burn Notice starts tonight at 10PM. The sneak peek continues to make me laugh. I’ve been waiting for this one since I first saw the previews a few months ago. Tonight’s premiere is presented commercial free and it looks like it’s going to be USA’s next big hit. It’s like some kind of awesome combo of Alias and Veronica Mars (“burned” spy helps those who can’t go to the police to make some money to find out why he got burned in the first place) only starring a cute guy. How can they go wrong?!

On my schedule tonight*: So You Think You Can Dance, Studio 60 (series finale), and Burn Notice

* SYTYCD, Top Chef, and Traveler commentary from last night to come later.

10 Responses to “They can’t take away his skills…”

eolivet says:

Yep, that’s my reservation, as well. I really do think there’s a large portion of the public who hears the word “vampire” and switches the channel. :/

“Ghost Whisperer” is more like a supernatural “Providence” than anything else, so I can kind of see why they put ML there and who it’s supposed to appeal to…but I just have my doubts.

The re-tooling of JD’s role especially, though, clearly means they’re trying to cater to a younger audience. I just…wonder how many of them will be home on Friday nights. :/

afrocurl says:

I was never into Buffy so much, so my opinion on this show is going to be vastly different. While I hadn’t really thought about the show before, I’ll give it a shot now for JD’s sake.

The Series Finale of S60 might kill me tonight, but I’ll watch it anyway. I’ll miss Sorkin on my TV again.

stephanierb says:

I agree. I’m surprised that CBS went for this, actually. I can’t imagine that it’s going to pull the numbers that they’re used to getting from their dramas. It’s definitely going to be a niche show with a very specific audience.

I’m still happy for JD, though. I think this show will give him more exposure, no matter how long it lasts, and that’s a good thing. Hopefully, this will lead to bigger and better things for him in the future.

I really want to check out Burn Notice, but I don’t have USA. It does look pretty funny and I’m a big fan of Jeffrey Donovan’s. I might have to reconsider my decision to get only the basic cable package so I can watch this.

BTW, I friended you. I hope you don’t mind. :-)

keyser7soze says:

I think JD’s character sounds entertaining but my expectations for the show at this point are pretty low. I’m keeping the door open to be pleasantly surprised though, because I do think DG has the talent to eventually make it watchable.

It’s sort of a crapshoot to guess how the ratings for this will turn out. It might tank or those Ghost Whisperer fans might just be too lazy to change the channel.

maka2000 says:

I hadn’t heard that JDoh news! Interesting. I like vampire stories. I looked up what his character would be like, and it seems interesting. I’ll give it a shot. I managed to see a commercial for it during… Creature Comforts, I think, and it did look all moody and interesting. At least they’re already advertising the sucker!

tarfrimmer says:

This is so weird for me. The mere mention of vampires in a show description usually guarantees me as a viewer. I’ve enjoyed a lot of Greenwalt’s previous work. I also like JD and am happy for him that he got something post-VM. Yet this latest news leaves me feeling even less interested in checking out this show.

I really don’t understand it. It’s just not appealing to me at all and doesn’t sound like anything that’s going to last very long. Eh, maybe some previews will make me change my mind.

On the other hand, I’ve been really looking forward to checking out Burn Notice! I’ve been enjoying a lot of USA’s shows the past couple of seasons, so I’m hoping this will be another good one.

klia says:

I can’t wait for Burn Notice, because I adored Jeffrey Donovan in Touching Evil, but after USA axed TE and my beloved Peacemakers, I don’t trust them not to shaft me again. *sigh*

harper47 says:

This thread is kind of depressing but I’ll buck the trend. I think viewers from Ghost Whisperer will stick around, especially if they have decent promos during the show. Since I was planning to watch this anyway since I love the genre, I’m going to go ahead and have high hopes for it.

I just think it’s a great recasting job and no one really expected much from Ghost Whisperer either.

And I’m happy in my rose-colored glasses corner over here.

spadada says:

I forgot about the S60 series finale! Thank you for reminding me to set my DVR.

I don’t love the show like I thought I would after I watched the pilot, but I do enjoy it.

It’s too bad, really, because I feel like if Sorkin hadn’t been Sorkin he might have gotten some guidance from the network or the studio that could have really saved the show. It is just too sentimental and all over the place…

miniglik says:

It’s weird, because I’m not the world’s biggest Jason Dohring fan, but I’m kind of curious about this. Hmmm….