The only thing really scary about it was that it could’ve gone on longer.

Why is Supernatural fandom imploding? DON’T answer that. It was rhetorical. Not to mention, if you spoil me, I’ll have to kill you and that’d kinda put a kink in my plans to not go to prison for the rest of my life. The vague freakouts were ok but, since the posts seem to be getting more and more idiotic (no, really, what purpose does it serve to be all up in arms about spoilers for a show that doesn’t resume filming for another month?) not to mention blatantly spoilerish, I’m thinking I’m going to have to leave all SPN communities I joined last year just to avoid it all.

I am so incredibly tired today. I think I got a grand total of two hours of sleep last night. I picked Mo’s mom, aunt, and daughter up at the airport and didn’t get home until 1:45-ish. Their plane was originally scheduled to be in at 10:40 but didn’t actually get in until around 11:50. And, stupidly, I bought a book to give me something to do while I was sitting in the cell waiting lot at the airport. That worked great only, as per usual, I did not have the willpower to just put the book down and go to sleep when I got home. Oh, no, I had to finish the whole thing. You’d think I’d learn but I never do. Anyway. Needless to say, finishing the book around 4:30 and my alarm going off at 5:30 do not leave me with a lot of actual sleeping time. Thank goodness for those annoying cats of mine who are relentless in the mornings or I’d probably still buried under the covers because I definitely slept through my alarm. (The book, Sins of a Duke, by Suzanne Enoch was pretty good, though, for my fellow romance junkies out there.)

I know you don’t really care about that stuff but it had to be said if only so you’d know why this post may tend to drift off at times. I have no business writing a post when I’m this tired but I also can’t seem to concentrate on my coding (imagine that!) so I gotta do something to keep me awake.

Anyway. Some TV talk.

Army Wives
I’ve officially added a season pass for this show to my DVR. Plus I snuck it onto Mo’s DVR too. What? It’s right up her alley and it’s surely got to be better than having her telling me about The Biggest Loser reruns she’s been watching.

Anyway. This was a solid episode. I didn’t love it and I don’t have a lot to say about it beyond that. Except maybe that I’m so glad Pamela finally came clean about the babies. I knew that lie was never going to last. I loved Roxy’s reaction to her telling all the women the truth. Heh.

I feel like I should have more because I know there was other stuff I liked but it’s all escaping me right now. Oh, wait, Denise standing up to her son! That was kind of awesome. As was his actually asking for help. Next week’s between mother and son should be interesting.

Ok, I’ve exhausted my supply of things to say. There was lots more and, like I said, it was a solid if not great episode. Since I’m passing on John from Cincinnati, it’s nice to have a show to look forward to on Sundays.

Heartland
Y’all probably think I’m going to be negative, don’t ya? Not so much. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t good. It also wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. Well, the music is pretty awful. Not the songs so much (though those do feel like they’re trying too hard to convince me what I should be feeling any particular moment) but how they were incorporated or, not, as the case may be. I don’t like it when the music on the show is so loud that it feels like it exists outside the show. Playing a song softly in the background and even having it slowly swell to taking the place of the dialogue is good. Playing it so loudly over the scene that the audience reaches for the remote and the volume button? Not good.

The other thing the show does is that there’s a little too much telling rather than showing. The scenes where the doctor (sorry, I don’t remember any of the names on this show) is sitting in his car outside the house watching his ex and daughter, was the perfect way to show how disconnected he is from them and their lives. Or even the scene where he and the daughter are in the car and talking about her shoplifting condoms. The first literally shows rather than tells and the second had dialogue that is telling but outright expositive. Or maybe it was just that it felt like every character had to point it out? Including the doctor himself when he outright admits that he’s always working and this new position isn’t likely to help with that.

And now I feel like I’m being overly negative but it’s not that the telling made the show unwatchable. It just made it a little clunky. It also didn’t do the characters any favors because I don’t feel like we really got to know any of them besides the doctor and his ex. I liked the chemistry between the two of them but, man, Kari Matchett is kind of a one note actress. (Sorry, Kari fans, it’s not such a bad thing… she plays that one role really well.) Or maybe it’s just that I’ve only managed to see her in things with similar characters? I have no idea what she was like on 24.

Overall, the show wasn’t as horrible as the original review I read on it made it seem. The characters didn’t grab me, though, so I don’t think I’ll be sticking with it.

On the Lot
So, I missed the first twenty minutes of this episode which means I missed Marty getting sent home (I didn’t like his movie last week but he was definitely more talented than some of the others still on the show so I’m a little surprised by that) and the first two movies of the night. Of course, according to Ducky’s description of them the only one I need to catch up with online was Will’s “Glass Eye.” Stupid FOX didn’t have the videos online last night, though, so I wasn’t able to watch before voting.

I ended up only voting for Zach’s “Sunshine Girl” even though I thought it had some problems (it was a little slow and, like Wes and Garry, I didn’t quite get that she was afraid of the dark at first either). However, even with its problems, it was miles ahead of the other movies I saw. I literally had to change the channel during Mateen and Jess’ attempts. I don’t know if it was the actors Mateen chose or what but I found it painfully bad. And Jess? Let’s not even discuss that. At first I felt a little bad for her because she got the bad luck of creating a horror themed short and having it judged by freaking Wes Craven. That’s the equivalent of sending a showrunner a spec script from his show. Then, to top it off, it was horrible and not in the good way that horror flicks can be.

I didn’t quite get the explanation of what’s happening next. Only six of the contestants left are going to do the Comedy genre and the other six get the Horror genre? That’d be kind of neat if it were used when there are less people but it feels a little weird at this point. Either way, I hope the show picks up a little more steam because it was good for a week or two there and suddenly it’s gone back downhill again.

Oy. I need to go home and take a nap because tonight’s a busy TV night and I won’t be able to make it through any of it if I don’t get a few hours of sleep before then.

On my schedule for tonight: So You Think You Can Dance, Hidden Palms, Traveler, Top Chef, and Lil’ Bush

40 Responses to “The only thing really scary about it was that it could’ve gone on longer.”

deevee45 says:

Doesn’t surprise me about SPN fandom. I don’t watch the show, but the same thing will happen to SPN that happened to VM. I think fandom meltdown is inevitable.

Yeah, I don’t really know what causes. Some sense of false entitlement? Opposition to change? I don’t know what the spoilers are so it’s hard to speculate. I just know that I’m over that kind of fandom drama and I don’t want to watch it happen again.

deevee45 says:

It’s all the things you mentioned…I will never get involved in a fandom again after VM. To watch the fans go after each other like pit bulls was not in the least bit fun.

afrocurl says:

I’m pretty sure I know the cause of the SPN drama, but I have no idea of how bad this meltdown is.

Good luck getting through the day.

hanncoll says:

See, now you’re just trying to use *airquotes* Earth logic, which obviously doesn’t apply when SPN fandom is involved. *facepalm*

Oooh. I have no idea really except that some post I read this morning was about worrying that CW would get so fed up with people complaining about S3 already that they’d just cancel the show. That’s pretty much when I was like, “WTF?!”

And, thanks. :) I keep eating candy to give me little bursts of energy. (Of course it sucks when that energy wears off but whatcha gonna do?)

zimshan says:

Well, to be fair, I normally find most fandom meltdowns pretty ridiculous and eyeroll-worthy but this one actually seems to be pretty justified, given the info that has been released. Though I don’t follow the SPN comms so I have no idea just how crazy it’s gotten.

Heh. I get that it’s probably somewhat due to not having any new episodes to obsess over but, when I see people thinking that the CW is getting so many complaints that they’d actually cancel S3 before it even begins, I have to think all logic has flown out the window. I don’t even really care if people freak out, if only they could manage to do it without spoiling everyone and their mother about what’s causing the uproar.

Yeah but (and this just a difference between the way I think about these things and most of fandom does) I don’t see any justification in losing your mind about the way writers want to go with a show. If it turns out to change the show so fundamentally for you, then you can stop watching, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge it without first giving them a chance to show you what they want to do. I mean, I think they’ve built up enough goodwill with me over the past two years that I’m willing to see what they do.

Of course, I don’t know what the info is so I have no idea what I’m talking about. It wouldn’t change my mind but it might make me a little more apprehensive of how they are going to pull it off. But since that’ll just lead to expectations that I know will influence my opinion of whatever it is, I’d rather just watch it unfold.

PS: I also have to note that I am drastically different from most of SPN fandom (including, to some extent, you) what I want from the show.

gymble says:

That’s so cute. It’s almost like you expect fandom to be logical. Fandoms enjoy flipping out. It’s what they do. I’m just glad to not be in the center of it this time around.

Now I’m going to run off and see if there are more spoilers beyond the ones I already know. Because I thought the first round of flipping out was sort of silly.

GRRR, typos! I mean that what I like about the show and what I want from it each week seems to differ, in large part, from what I see that most of fandom wants and liks.

deevee45 says:

Ok, now I’m curious…is there a link that shows the spoiler so it’s not shown here? I know a (little) bit about the show, and am curious to see how “crazy” it is.

Sigh. Well SPN fandom has been a relatively calm place so I was hoping maybe they’d be different? But, yeah, not being in the center of it is why I want to leave the comms now before I can get drawn in.

Well, once you find ‘em, you’ll have to let me know if you think it’s warranted. Maybe [info]zimshan is right and people have a reason to be upset.

klia says:

I’ve been boiling mad about another wank within SPN fandom for several days, and hadn’t even heard about the S3 wank! There are times, like now, that I’m embarrassed to call myself a fan. Bah.

gymble says:

Eh. So I looked and I still think that people are getting way more worked up than warranted. But then that’s usually my reaction. My advice is to wait and see.

gymble says:

Just check out the spoiler thread on TWoP.

zimshan says:

But. What if I told you it is most likely NETWORK intervention? Yea.

I have always been a ‘let the writer do what he wants’ person. Joss’s whole ‘what you need’ thing has always rung true with me. And if I no longer like their stories, exactly that, I will stop watching. I honestly don’t have the energy to do more than that for entertainment. I did it with Lost, GG, VM. But I do have a problem with outside parties possibly forcing a writer to do something that could fundamentally change his show and for once, I sort of glad for fandom uprising (even though, yes, it has escalated to pretty crazy levels, as it always will get), because I have no time to get up in arms myself. But if I could, for this one, I would. So I’m glad that other people are taking initiative.

This is not to say I think SPN fandom is SANE in any sense. There’s a reason I never did join any of the show’s comms. My opinions on most episodes don’t really gel with others outside my flist. Sometimes I’m quite glad I watched the first season completely independent from the internet so I could enjoy it fully. Fandom can be fun, but they really know how to suck the fun out of things when they want to.

zimshan says:

Remember in the beginning of VM fandom when we all thought it would be different too? Ended up as a bloodbath just like any other fandom. Fandom is fandom. Doesn’t matter the show really. Change will piss some off and delight others. A clash begins. War ensues. Casualities erupt. There is no guarantee for a peaceful fandom. (Except perhaps early cancellation. Has the Firefly fandom won for Most Peaceful yet?)

Ok, I caved and went to see what it was all about and, yeah, I’m still of the opinion that people are freaking out for nothing. Especially since I had a sneaking suspicion this is what it was about.

But, to be fair this is exactly what I meant when I said my desires for the show are extremely different from what the majority of SPN fandom. I have no problems with the introduction of new characters and/or love interests. If anything, I’m still pissed at fans for effectively killing the possibility of Dean and Jo last year because of their freak out about her.

And I’m not sure I buy that it’s all Network interference. Has that been explicitly stated somewhere or is that just the assumption? I still trust Kripke to do it right even if he’s getting a mandate from above but I can also see why he’d be open to adding new faces to the show. Fresh blood means fresh stories.

(Of course, all of this assumes I’m reading the correct spoiler… but it does seem to be the one causing the craziness I was referencing in this post.)

Oh no! What was the other wank? Or do I even want to know?

Heh. Or maybe Wonderfalls fandom? Firefly fandom probably lost the title after the movie came out.

I caved and looked at ‘em and they were exactly what I was expecting by the few things I’d seen people say outside of spoiler cuts (hence why I was getting annoyed). And, yeah, I don’t get it. They might suck but that’s always a possibility. I still don’t think it has to mean it’s going to change the dynamic of the show that much.

zimshan says:

I’ve become more calm about it since I read the sides. It really wasn’t AS bad as everyone was making it out to be. Which I should have expected.

See, I liked Jo. I had no problem with her. I always thought that flip out was ridiculous. And it annoys me that we have that one plotpoint that was dropped into nowhere. Its the one glaring scar in S2. But did you see the casting call for this one? I can’t begrudge fandom for their flip out, because when I saw SERIES REGULAR, I momentarily flipped out myself. And anyone who thought it wouldn’t flip out the whole fanbase was nuts. But hey if Kripke comes out and says it’s all him, I’ll be happy to see what he can do with it. But I might question his sanity. He HAD to have known the mayhem this would cause in the fanbase.

zimshan says:

Ha, I forgot all about the movie drama. Oh well.

I saw ‘em and, again, I don’t have a problem with the series regular thing. But, I really REALLY don’t have a problem with the addition of regular female characters. I get that people are worried about the brother dynamic but I just don’t have that concern. And, I’ll be honest and mit that it’s very possibly because I happen to love strong female characters so I’m very curious to see what they do with ‘em.

I dunno about the Kripke sanity thing. I think he probably knew it would get people up in arms a bit and a little worried about the brother dynamic but I don’t know I’d go as far as sayinig he realized it was going to cause mayhem. Or maybe that’s just because I can’t understand why it’s causing mayhem myself. ;)

I guess, technically, that drama was all directed at Joss so maybe it’s not the same.

klia says:

The wank about the fan who went to see JA in A Few Good Men in Dallas and took photos/recorded audio after patrons were specifically told not to, then posted it online — which was bad enough, and I absolutely DON’T condone her asshatted behavior — but then she got turned in to TPTB by another fan, who’s going around saying SPN fandom is *blessed* to have her, and being all self-congratulatory and arrogant about her shiny new position as Fandom Police.

And, I’m sorry, but I’m very old skool about fandom, and believe fans self-police, but DO NOT rat out other fans to TPTB, ISPs, etc.. I won’t say anything more, though I could rant at length.

gymble says:

It’s not so much that I don’t think it will change the show dynamic as much as I think that it’s not a crime if the show does change a bit. (I think there are way too many double negatives in that sentence, but I’m too lazy to figure out how to fix it.) But then I like different things about SPN than most of the SPN fandom.

The problem at this point is that people are probably primed to hate the characters no matter what. Mob think annoys me.

gymble says:

I could have predicted the mayhem. In fact, I did predict the mayhem. But I still think it’s silly. All the cries of “How dare they change the most perfectest show ever!” annoy me.

If showrunners always followed the whims of fandom or did and didn’t do something because of them, all shows would suck. You can’t please everyone and fandom is way too easy to piss off.

zimshan says:

Whoa, seriously? That’s crazy. I had no idea. Ratting out other fans. What class.

zimshan says:

Ah, I think it applies. It’s still the whole major change idea that split the fandom into two fractions.

zimshan says:

Well, for me, the show is special that in this tv time of huge ensemble casts, it can exist as a two-lead show. And still be characterization based. I like the intensive myopic look at two characters. If I want strong female characters I can pop in Buffy. And if I want romance I can change the channel to…any other station. It’s just my own personal perception but for me, the show was refreshing. And it’s sad to me if the network is the one saying the show needs to be more “regular”.

And I guess the reason why I tend to believe it’s from the network is because I’m surprised they’ve let it go on this long the way they have. I mean, this is entertainment we’re talking about, where ‘love interest’ is sort of a mandate for ordinary film/tv. We all know from VM how Ostroff badgered RT with different demands. Now the network has nothing left to meddle with but SPN. It makes sense that it could be them. But like I said, Kripke comes out and says it’s all part of his five year plan or something and I’ll rein in my judgement.

But Kripke knew the vile fan response for Jo, for a simple reoccuring character, I can’t see how he wouldn’t have seen this coming. But hey, maybe he just wants to torture himself. Who knows. ;) If he’s truly up for the challenge, I’ll be up for seeing his attempt. :D

klia says:

Yeah, seriously:

I know, what class. Like the snitch’s motives were oh so pure. PLEASE. The whole thing really burns me up.

shaibitch says:

Holy crap I didn’t know she got turned in? I knew she did it and to say the least I was pissed off. I saw the show and it was fabulous and I wouldn’t mind memories but when they expressly said no recording it’s all but an insult to do otherwise.

shaibitch says:

Ugh I completely here what you are saying, I’ve honestly contemplated unsubbing from all my SPN communities as well. They are all going batshit insane. I was so excited to hear Creation was putting on the SPN/Buffy/Angel/Smallville con but honestlyt eh SPN fans scare the crap out of me. Not all of them of course but a lot seem very just odd. Having gone through the Highlander fandom, Nsync and LOTR I’m good.

Not to mention I’m not entirely against them bringing in women as regulars, if it works it works. If it doesn’t it doesn’t. I wasn’t against Jo to start with and really wasn’t at the end she didn’t really bother me one way or the other. I just don’t think the writing worked in her favor as they seriously had more of a brother/sister vibe going on. I’d honestly hate for the fans to kill any possibility of it happening on the grounds that it may improve the show. I love the two of them as leads and I like THEM (I’m anti Daddy Winchester, but that’s on the gorunds that JDM grates on my nerves) but there isn’t anything wrong with variety.

klia says:

I agree with you, and I certainly wouldn’t have done it, but I also think turning in another fan is just downright scummy, and personally think far worse of the informer than the offender.

klia says:

Speaking as someone who went to fan-run actor cons before Creation destroyed them all, I think this is VERY bad news. Companies like Creation have ruined the con experience by turning them into these hideously expensive a la carte affairs, where they charge for every-freaking-thing under the sun. It used to be you’d pay for your membership, and your badge gave you access to everything for the entire day or weekend. You didn’t have to pay extra for autographs or photos or any of the other functions. I just think it sucks *really* hard for them to be making huge profits off the backs of fans.

nikki_holly says:

yeah, i agree that everyone is freaking out over nothing. my adivce: stay away from the insanity if you can. I have to moderate a board, and i gotta tell ya, moderating the threads about the new spoiler is not fun.

I don’t see the point. Whatever happened to girl power (where’s a spice girl when ya need one?)? Really, what’s wrong with adding some kick ass chicks? They aren’t going to make the show all about these two girls. They won’t take away from the relationship between Sam and Dean. What is the huge freaking problem?

shaibitch says:

That I will agree with, though I think they are both in the wrong it’s horribley crappy either way