Thursday Night TV

I only watched two shows last night and one was a sitcom so no show commentary today. I did enjoy Lost for the second week in a row. Is this a new trend?

The real reason I’m posting is because it’s a night packed full of new TV. I didn’t want anyone to forget about the three new shows starting tonight or all of the shows that have new episodes for us to enjoy. Enjoy your Thursday night TV!

NEW SHOWS STARTING TONIGHT

Andy Barker, PI (9:30PM, NBC): Milquetoast accountant Andy Barker begins a daring career in crime investigation after being mistaken for the former tenant of his current office, a hard-boiled PI who recently retired.

Things to note about this new series? Well, for one, you can preview all six of the first episodes online at NBC.com so you don’t have to wait for more if you like it! Also, if you’re like me and a huge fan of Jane Espenson’s, then the fact that she is a writer on the show should be enough reason to check it out.

Note: Jane wrote “Fairway, My Lady” in case you don’t plan on watching but do want to check out her episode.

Raines (10:00PM, NBC): Spectral homicide victims haunt Det. Michael Raines until he nails their killers.

Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds disturbingly like Ghost Whisperer with maybe a side of Medium thrown in for good measure but it’s Jeff Goldblum!! Who doesn’t love Jeff?! I’m cautious about any new show being released right now (except Drive) but I have to give Jeff Raines a chance to win me over.

Note: NBC also has the first episode of this one up in their First Looks section. So, if you can’t check it out tonight, you can check it out there.

October Road (10:00PM, ABC): A popular author returns to his hometown to find his friends and family have taken issue with what he’s written about them.

Hey, remember this show back when it was on the WB, helmed by Kevin Williamson, and called Glory Days? (ETA: Credit goes to [info]schnappycat for already having noted the similarities between October Road and Glory Days earlier this week.) Still, ABC has done a good job with the promos. They make me want to watch even though I don’t have much hope for a show that I heard about eons ago and is just now making on air. I’m giving this one a chance because I liked Bryan Greenberg as Jake on OTH. I want to see how well he carries a show. Plus, that chick who played Donna on That 70′s Show is also in it and it’ll be interesting if I can watch and NOT see her as Donna.

SHOWS WITH NEW EPISODES TONIGHT

• Ugly Betty

• Smallville
  • Grey’s Anatomy
  • Supernatural
  • Scrubs

SPECIAL MENTION
The Office is NOT new tonight but NBC is running two what they call “newpeats” as a one hour showing with never-before-seen moments in them. A nice twist to the idea of reruns! Luckily for me my TiVO is currently taping any Office airing which means I can stick to new shows tonight and watch these two “newpeats” during the weekend.

And, finally…

On my schedule for tonight: Ugly Betty, Grey’s Anatomy, Supernatural, Raines, and October Road

15 Responses to “Thursday Night TV”

schnappycat says:

Hey, remember this show back when it was on the WB, helmed by Kevin Williamson, and called Glory Days? Still, ABC has done a good job with the promos. They make me want to watch even though I don’t have much hope for a show that I heard about eons ago and is just now making on air. I’m giving this one a chance because I liked Bryan Greenberg as Jake on OTH. I want to see how well he carries a show.

Hey, I already said that this week! Copycat! ;)

Who doesn’t love Jeff?!
    Me! What can I say? The guy creeps me out. However, I do LOVE Duchovny’s SNL Jeopardy impression of him. Priceless.

I do plan to check out Andy Barker, though.

harper47 says:

I was just wondering if you had posted your reaction to Lost yet and I see that all is normal in the world as we have our normal, opposing reactions. (I liked parts of it but overall – not so much).

I would check out a few of these shows if they weren’t part of an already jampacked Thursday schedule. So sadly, I won’t be watching any of them. I have UB, GA and Supernatural tonight and that’s enough. But if any of them make it, I will be willing to give at least Andy B. a chance as it sounds intriguing. And of course the incredible Jane E.

maka2000 says:

Hey, I didn’t realize there was so much new TV on tonight – so thanks for the heads up!

Also, you were listening to Hanson!! I grew up in Tulsa, where they’re originally from, so I’m still a fan of theirs. At Christmas, I went home to visit family, and I saw the middle Hanson brother in Borders. He’s still gorgeous – actually more so because he’s all grown up now.

So you did!! I probably AM a copycat because I remembered someone talking about Glory Days but I wasn’t sure if I was remembering that from back when I first heard about the show or more recently. I swear the past few weeks have turned my brain to mush.

Me! What can I say? The guy creeps me out.

Aww! Actually, I can see that. I tend to find him goofy but I can see where you’d see him as creepy.

I just read somewhere that Andy Barker got a good review so maybe it’ll end up being an unexpected hit instead of something NBC just wants to burn off?

spectralbovine says:

I read in EW that the “ghosts” in Raines are just hallucinations. Which is so lame. Although it does make the promos make more sense. I was wondering how many different murder cases there could be where the victim had no idea who had killed them.

Heh. You know the stars and planets have to be perfectly aligned for us to have the same opinion about things! ;) At least your opinion is usually in line with what everyone else thinks so I’m the weirdo!

Well, I’m not watching Andy Barker because I already have two other shows on at that time but my 10PM shows are both being replaced by the new shows so I’d normally be watching/taping those stations anyway. I don’t expect them to stick around for long so I’m also not worried I’m going to be sucked into long term viewing.

You’re welcome! I didn’t really realize they were all on tonight either. I knew they were starting soon but I hadn’t been paying attention to the actual day. So, I figured others weren’t either. :)

Also, you were listening to Hanson!!
    I was! My last name is Hanson so I feel a kinship with them (though we have no blood links at all). I have a friend who actually calls me ‘MMMBop’. I don’t know if I’d recognize any of the brothers if I saw them in the store but I did just see a picture of them recently and they really did grow up nice!

schnappycat says:

The Denver Post gave Andy Barker a great review earlier this week, which cemented my desire to watch. I was considering it anyhow, since I loved Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Jeff would be much less creepy if he didn’t always wear bizarre sunglasses/glasses in interviews. I actually like some of his characters/acting, but in RL he is so weird, that it makes me want to not tune in.

I read in EW that the “ghosts” in Raines are just hallucinations.

What?! That’s dumb. How are they going to explain that? I mean, that’s something that would work on FX but NBC? I dunno. I’m hoping it’s better than it sounds on paper.

schnappycat says:

I was a huge Hanson fan back in the day! I shamelessly listened to their first album and danced around my apartment. I haven’t followed them much recently, but all the more current stuff I have heard I’ve really liked.

schnappycat says:

Oh, but in that same Denver Post article, the critic said Raines wasn’t very good. But I find that doesn’t mean much.

harper47 says:

Yes, I honestly don’t see any of the three new ones making it. Maybe Raines but I watched a bit of it online and even with Jeff, it was boring me. Granted I probably only watched about 15 minutes which isn’t very fair.

But Medium and Ghost Whisperer pretty much fill up my ghostwatching niches and since his ghosts are just hallucinations, it just didn’t hook me.

I think I’ve heard that in a few places, though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out to be true.

spectralbovine says:

I know! So they only know what he knows, which means they’re just some gimmicky device so that Jeff Goldblum can spend half the episode talking to himself. And that’s basically the Baltar and Six Show, except I don’t think it will be nearly as awesome.

It seems like a quirky detective show in the vein of Monk or Psych.

karinalee says: