TV Schmvee: Do you know who I am?

The Murphy’s Law That Never Fails to Apply to Me: It does not matter if there’s been nothing to do for months, the minute you plan a vacation, crucial project deadlines for the day before you leave will pop up.

Whatever, work, I’m going to San Fran and you can’t stop me (or make me feel guilty about it). I still need to go back and catch up on comments from the last two posts but only have a few minutes this morning to talk about last night’s TV watching.

How I Met Your Mother
Aww, Lily and Marshall are back together! Now if we can just break up Ted and Robin, I’ll be all kinds of happy. I think I saw a lot of positive reactions to the whole “Swarley” storyline in this episode but it wasn’t quite as funny as they seemed to think it was. Usually I love all stories involving Barney but this one wasn’t doing much for me. I did love the shout-out to Friends and them making fun of how a bar is a cooler hangout than a coffeehouse. Heh. It is always lovely to see Morena, though. She’s so beautiful.

The Class
This show’s only saving grace is that it’s on a fairly light TV night for me so I don’t mind catching up on it on Tuesday. It loses me more and more each week. Kat and Ethan remain my favorite characters and involving them with the other characters might actually like those characters for an episode. The band storyline was pretty weak and the only saving grace to any of it was that Fern is aware of Lina now. Maybe I’ll like Richie more if I get more Fern because I love me some Sara Gilbert. Other than that, I don’t know if I’ll be able to stick with this show much longer.

Justice
Finally! Ok, first I have to admit that I didn’t see the affair between the wife and best friend coming. I honestly thought the two friends were going to end up being gay and the ones having the affair. I have no idea why but that’s the vibe I was getting. Could I have been any more wrong? I did like that it was the best friend, the one who seemed innocent, who ended up being the murderer. And, yes, I’m happy that we finally got a verdict that didn’t match with what they were selling in court. However, it felt cheapened by them having one innocent and one guilty party. I think the writers are afraid to let these lawyers be wrong but seeing what actually happened is what makes their show unique so they need to be willing to use it for shock value.

Gilmore Girls
Lore talking during that lecture was enough to make me want to shoot her. Possibly some buried anger about the people in my theater on Friday coming to the surface? I know she’s been known to be like that forever but it seemed especially annoying last night.

It was kind of weird that we’re supposed to believe Emily and Richard have come to every parent’s day and Lore hasn’t known. Plus, what are the chances that any parent would know the name of another kid on campus? I know it’s Yale and it’s more of a networking school than the one I attended but there are SO MANY students. I just had a hard time buying that anyone would know Rory Gilmore from Jane Schmane at Yale. It’s more likely that they’d have heard of the “Gilmores” rather than knowing Rory specifically.

Eh, I just realized I have a lot of nitpicks about last night’s episode so I’m going to interrupt myself and say that I did enjoy it while I was watching it but I felt like it was one of the weaker episodes this season. I can’t wait for next week, though.

Veronica Mars
LOVE. That’s the best word to capture my feelings for this episode. I don’t agree that the cheating stuff was too blatant. The episode was about cheating, it was the one thing that tied them all together, and there’s really no subtle way to have everyone cheating. Especially since I think cheating was only the ‘surface’ theme in this episode. It felt like they were being intentionally blatant about that part to underscore that the underlying themes were all things associated with cheating — all very noir elements — morals vs temptation, jealousy, consequences, etc. And, quite frankly, I just thought everything was woven together so nicely that I didn’t care about the blatancy.

Hey, I forgot to talk about Piz last night… I kinda love him. I’m not even apologetic about it. I still don’t see any romantic chemistry between Kristen and Chris and Kristen’s delivery of a few lines came off weirdly as a result. She’s been playing Veronica as somewhat blind to Piz’s interest but then, at the bowling alley, why would she even assume Parker might be referring to V and Piz having something? Maybe it was just badly played by all of them? There needed to be a little more of a hint that V might have some interest in Piz for it to work for me. And possibly that’s somewhat hard for me to see because the last few episodes have been all about Veronica finally opening up to Logan and Kristen selling that V does love him. STILL, I do like him and I loved the bowling thing. I actually felt bad for him when I realized he had no clue Logan was coming. Eek. Very real feeling of awkwardness when he saw him come up behind V. (Plus, it was just an added bonus that Logan’s reaction to the lack of a “gang” and it being very obvious why Piz had invited V bowling came off very much like the Piz/Logan interactions in [info]neptune_online recently and that amused me greatly. Of course we’ve had it going on longer than it has so it’s kind of moved into annoying Logan territory instead of the mild amusement/jealousy/possessiveness that we got here.)

One other thing to add, based on a few reactions I’ve read so far. I agree that it was great to see the Dean take Nish down for her lack of “balanced” reporting. I don’t agree, however, that she knew about Claire faking the rape and/or necessarily condoned it. I think it was partly her not necessarily believing Veronica that Claire had faked it and also rightly being concerned that people on campus would jump on the story of one faked rape to claim that the others had been faked too. I’d like to see more fallout from that whole thing but I think we will… I mean, clearly there has to be a reason we keep seeing Veronica making new enemies on campus every day. I just hope that they don’t gloss over the faked rape bit because I fear it’ll make people just as mad as addressing it the wrong way.

As for the enemies thing… I suspect that’s going to be important next week, eh? Why is Tuesday still 6 days away? I need to ask Santa for a Fast Forward Life Button for Christmas.

On the schedule for tonight: Jericho, Bones, Lost, One Tree Hill, The OC, The Nine, and Top Chef

I have a dilemma with that schedule. I can’t tape three shows at once… damn Fox for putting on a new OC tonight. I may have to tape two of those and watch the third in another room since none of them repeat any time soon. I’d just watch Lost online but it’s the last one of the fall season so I don’t want to do that! Damn choices. Plus, the new USA show starts tonight and I face the same issue with that one. Oy.

21 Responses to “TV Schmvee: Do you know who I am?”

eolivet says:

Aww, I thought the Swarley thing got funnier as it got more ridiculous. It was one of those things where, to me, the funny came from Barney getting more and more irritated rather than it being actually funny…if that makes any sense.

I agree with you there — Piz gives me a very Xander vibe in a way Duncan never really did. Like, Piz/Veronica would be a mismatch of the highest order. I really hope the show doesn’t go there. :x

As for your show dilemma, you’ll have a better chance at seeing the USA show again, since the network will likely rerun it at some point before next week. So, I’d do “Lost” and “O.C.” — since neither of those will be rerun this week (I’d assume).

(Randomly, have you watched BL lately? We just watched the ep where Craig Bierko just joined and I can’t STAND him! He’s like a Poor Man’s Alan Shore! Does he get better? :x )

harper47 says:

Mother: I’m so in love with Barney that’s it’s hard to be objective. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the last two but I did kind of love the Swarley. Hee! I didn’t like the “crazy eyes” thing that much.

GG: Hee – I completely forgot to comment about it over on my lj. Maybe because I thought it was just sad how Lorelai has become so annoying. I just want to fast forward through her. And the talking during the lecture? GRRRRRR – not a fan, just not a fan.

The good – shirtless, wet Luke.

VM: I really liked it too. I think the thing that you touched on – the noir elements were really superb last night.

Aww, I thought the Swarley thing got funnier as it got more ridiculous.

Well, honestly, I just have a weird sense of humor I think. :)

I agree. I’m ok with them exploring it for the sake of the characters. I suppose I can see V being tempted to give him a chance so one episode where she does that before realizing that it’d never work would work for me. And, ya know, I don’t say that lightly because I’ve always agreed with their romantic choices for V before… Kristen seems to have chemistry with everyone but I just can’t see it this time.

You are correct about the USA show which is why it’s not actually one of the shows involved in the dilemma. It’s OTH/Lost/OC which are causing the problem… I think I’m just going to watch Lost in my bedroom and tape the other two. I never watch either of them live anyway so it’s not a big deal. And I don’t care if I have the Lost episode taped for later.

Randomly, have you watched BL lately?
    I have… I’ve been watching all along albeit not quite as closely as I watched last year. Eh, Craig’s character gets a bit better and they’ve eased off on him some in the last few episodes but he is part of the reason I haven’t been as interested. We get a lot less screen time for our favorites because of the new folks. I know that happens every year but I’m not liking that aspect so much this year.

Well, as I said in my comment above, I have a weird sense of humor so sometimes certain things just don’t work for me. I don’t know why.

Maybe because I thought it was just sad how Lorelai has become so annoying.

See, overall I don’t find her that annoying… although maybe that’s because I don’t mind her with Chris like you do. ;) I had more issues with small things in this episode. And, sadly, shirtless, wet Luke/Scott Patterson doesn’t do much for me. He’s got some pretty impressive back muscles but Luke’s story was kind of annoying to me as well… possibly because I didn’t believe he’d be interested in the swim instructor. Bad choice of an actress I think.

harper47 says:

Well see then all is right with the world if we are now having opposing opinions. Hee!

schnappycat says:

Lorelai has become so annoying to me that I almost turned it off last night. And I like Christopher. But I wanted to smack her in each scene. Bring back Logan and make Lorelai go away for awhile. Please.

And that actress who played the swim instructor was the most obnoxious thing I’ve ever seeen. I actually wanted to kill her. Oops. I think I was in a bad mood last night. I also didn’t like VM and I think I am the only person in all of fandom. Maybe it deserves a rewatch.

breathinmethane says:

on GG: it’s not just about rory being at yale but she IS the editor of the paper basically in charge of the whole thing. her grandparents also have a ton of money and they do have their circles. “the girlmores” “the hunzburgers” sp etc. etc. lorelai talking during the lecture has always been something on gg i.e. lorelai eating during town meetings. etc.

on VM: i hate this season. i think it’s shit. i hate piz. i hate that wallace is failing when he’s suppose to be a really smart guy. i really hate the morals behind the whole keith/married chick affair. i dont like logan now he seems shady like he’s cheating on vm or something! and i wanna know who the rapist is bc that mystery seems more fucked up than the other two.

i did pull an “OMG” when keith got hit.

spectralbovine says:

Thank you for saying what I’ve been trying to say about the cheating theme, but better. I don’t think it was heavy-handed. It was there. It’s thematics, people.

Good points on Nish.

spectralbovine says:

You’re not the only person. You’re never the only person in all of fandom. (Hell, there’s someone right below in Rae’s comments!)

I would rewatch it, though, if you think you might like it more. Even if individual plot points rubbed you the wrong way, I think it was a very well put-together episode.

schnappycat says:

Maybe. I just was angry that it seemed like every single one of the characters on both GG and VM were totally OOC last night. Wooby Logan, Parker suddenly V’s BFF and wanting to date, Wallace cheating and suddenly caring about engineering over bball, cheating and scarily horny Keith, cooperative Lamb, exceedingly annoying and not clever Lorelai, all astrophysics-interested Christopher, a Paris-like Rory, and on and on. Sookie was acting very strange, the guest swim coach actress was terrible and annoying, Paris was too blonde, etc. Piz was refreshingly the same and I like Mercer. Ryan Devlin is doing a decent job.

Ack. I sound bitter. It just really struck me last night how many of my beloved characters have changed, and mostly not for the better.

eolivet says:

That makes me happy — because while I know you support the V/L ‘ship, it’s always seemed to me like you’re a Veronica fan first (correct me if I’m wrong :) And if a Veronica fan doesn’t see Piz as a viable romantic interest…then it’s not just a ‘shipper thing. :D

It’s OTH/Lost/OC which are causing the problem

Ahhhh, OK. Out of those three, I think the O.C. may have the greatest chance of getting repeated, because Fox seems to like to do that more than any other network. But yeah, “Lost” is going to be more of a “live” event, for sure. :p

That’s really too bad. I don’t understand why they felt the need to bring in more characters — although I liked Constance Zimmer a lot better than Craig Bierko — at least in the one ep I’ve seen of them both so far. But the LAST thing the firm needs is more MEN! :/

Oh! You’re very correct about the Veronica fan part. I admit to not liking the idea of Piz as a replacement for Logan after hearing interviews over the summer but I’d have changed my tune if they’d ended up having great chemistry. I mean, let’s face it, I want Troy to come back and not just because I think Aaron Ashmore is cute. Maybe it’s partly a need to have someone who I can see actually competing with Logan for her attention. And Piz? Yeah, not so much.

Good point. Of course the real problem is that there’s another new episode of that show tomorrow night so if I miss tonight’s episode I’ll be all out of sync with things.

I really don’t know. Maybe part of the problem is that they didn’t get rid of anyone so now it’s like we have too many people on the playing field. That’s partly why I haven’t loved the show as much this year. It may be just an illusion but I feel like we don’t get nearly as much of Alan and Denny that we used to because they have to juggle all of these people. I hoping they do something to trim down the cast soon.

Too true!

Bring back Logan and make Lorelai go away for awhile.

Ok, Laura, I think you may be one of the only GG fans I may ever hear say that!!! ;)

I guess I don’t see how Lore is so different these days? Maybe I’m just more willing to look past things, I dunno.

I agree on that. My other problem with her was that I just didn’t get why Luke would be interested at all. Not to be shallow but if you look at the women he’s had, this one didn’t even seem like she’d register on his radar. And, dude, I’d have left after she told him to sit next to her instead of across. I was like, “What?! You can’t talk that way… that’s just wrong. LEAVE LUKE.” Sadly, he couldn’t hear me or something.

Sunil said it already but you aren’t the only one. I only read a few pages over at TWOP and it seemed like there were more people who didn’t like it than who did? However, if you know you were in a bad mood then yeah it might be worth a re-watch… when you’re in a good mood, though. ;)

It’s not just about rory being at yale but she IS the editor of the paper basically in charge of the whole thing.

Well, I do understand that but it’s still a huge school and it seems odd that you’d just happen to run into the one set of parents who have a kid who wants to be on the newspaper. Just one of those things that get to me because it makes the scene feel more contrived than real.

Yeah, I know but this particular instance was bugging me more than normal. I guess because in those other examples, she’s at more informal… almost more acceptable places for doing that kind of stuff. Doing it in a lecture is just rude to the speaker.

on VM: i hate this season.

Well……. I don’t really know what to say. I’m sorry? I can say that I don’t know if Wallace was ever portrayed as a really book smarts kind of guy so I can buy him failing. I mean, I am a fairly smart person and I failed a class in college too because I just couldn’t grasp some of the stuff we were covering. Anyway, I got sidetracked, I hope that the season gets better for you!

You’re welcome!

Thematics indeed. Maybe it’s just because I like it when shows have one cohesive theme that ties all of the plots together.

schnappycat says:

The ep of The OC tonight has already been leaked online. I have it, if it would help. I haven’t watched it though, since I should be able to catch it tonight.

Oooh… *is tempted* Nah, s’ok, I am going to tape the OC and OTH in one room and watch Lost in my bedroom. It works out nicely because I have a project in there that I can work on. Thanks, though! :)

schnappycat says:

I know a lot of Logan fans who would be more than happy to have him onscreen more. :)

Lore isn’t so different–it’s just more, if that makes sense. They have taken her already talky, witty banter and made more talky (with less meaning) and less clever. More over the top. I liked her in early seasons, but could sometimes barely handle her then. Now she has crossed the line into annoying much of the time. She just talks too much and doesn’t say anything. I agreed with Chris to “shush” her because I was doing the same thing. She was just rude. She is thinking less than she used to.

I haven’t read much of the ep thead, so I don’t know what TWoP people are saying. But most of my flist is very pleased with the ep.

zimshan says:

Thank you! I have seen all these people all mad that Nish knew about Claire faking the rape and it kind of baffles me because I didn’t see anything in that scene that told me she knew. I saw exactly what you saw.

breathinmethane says:

I guess its up to the viewer honestly because they seem to have been setting up that the Gilmore girls are very connected and Richard Gilmore is an alumni and i assume must give donations or at least have a wing or something. They just seem like that kind of people.

Doing it in a lecture is just rude to the speaker.

i totally get you on that and i’m not saying that it’s a polite thing to do im just pointing out that that’s something she does. she always talks during movies, town meetings, dinner when her parents are saying something imporant. idk what else to say about that but thats just a lorelai trait.

but they did though. even in the dream sequence of the finale of season 2 they showed him a bit book smart. he has always been a bit of smart kid. in fact every friend of vm has been a bit smart: mac, wallace, duncan etc.