I’ve got what?

I wrote this out the other day but it got too long and convoluted so I decided to wait until my brain was clear again. This will probably still be long but, hey, it seemed short and sweet on the phone! This is the theory that Seanan and I discussed the other day on the phone and it’s all about the chlamydia.

So, where did Veronica get it? Clearly from Duncan unless there’s something we don’t know about that night at Shelley’s party. If she got it from Duncan, where’d he get it?

Right out of the box, we decided Kendall is out of the running. There are a few reasons but the most relevant and more concrete reason is that Logan would also have chlamydia and would have probably noticed it by now. Plus, quite frankly, we’re led to believe that Kendall was played along with everyone else in Donut Run so I think it’s another reason to doubt that Duncan ever did anything with her. Also note, Logan doesn’t bring Kendall up as a possibility which just proves that he never really believed Duncan did anything with her.

There is the possibility that Duncan slept with someone in between Meg and Veronica. Logan wouldn’t necessarily know about it because that was during the time they weren’t talking and he himself said that Duncan didn’t really talk about his sex life. On the other hand, it also seems out of character for Duncan to sleep with anyone in that short amount of time – especially if he was pining for Veronica. Anyone remember a certain Shelley in the back seat incident from Season 1?

So, that pretty much leaves Meg. Which makes logical sense since we know their sex at some point resulted in a baby which means that it could have resulted in other things. Note how quick Veronica is to say that they always used protection?

Where Meg got her chlamydia is now the more pertinent question. I’m hoping that they don’t retcon Meg into sleeping with someone before Duncan. That’d be a lousy thing to do to the girl they let languish in a coma for months and then killed with a blood clot. Nor can I really see Meg sleeping around on Duncan either, even though she was kinda pissed after Logan’s Surprise Party in ATttD. Seanan suggested that she was forced to sleep with someone, possibly while still going out with Duncan. I can get behind the forcing part but I’m more likely to guess it was after Duncan. I understand Seanan’s reasoning, since that would give us a plausible way for Meg to get the chlamydia and to pass it along. However, I think it’s also possible that she would have tried to get back together with Duncan once she knew about the baby. If that’s the case, I can see her sleeping with him again to try and get him back.

Either way, this idea also puts some doubt into the paternity of that baby. Since Seanan and I talked, I’ve seen this show up in a few places and it does seem like the only logical reason we would suddenly have this chlamydia story line. Especially since doctors specifically test for chlamydia in pregnant mothers since it can be passed onto a newborn baby. So, if Meg did have chlamydia, Veronica has a way to find out without having to talk to Meg or ask Duncan. Good thing since she can’t exactly communicate with those two at the moment.

The idea that the baby might not be Duncan’s holds a lot of appeal for me. Not because I don’t want it to be his but because that doubt explains a lot of things that bugged me about the damn baby story line. But, before I get off on that tangent, let’s consider this idea. Meg never really confirms that Duncan is the father. She indicates that her parents think he is the father but she never says it herself. She ignores him when he asks what they are going to do and it’s Veronica she asks to watch out for the baby. Nor do we know what was in that letter that Duncan read. But we do know that Duncan told Veronica that Meg and the baby don’t affect their relationship. It was Veronica who jumped to the conclusion that it was his baby and got all offended that he’d even imply that it wouldn’t affect them. In some ways, Duncan knowing that the baby might not be his explains some of his odd behavior in OAV.

But, more importantly, Duncan suspecting the baby might not be his completely explains why he would choose to kidnap it over fighting for custody. If there was even a chance the baby wasn’t his, he wouldn’t want to take the chance that he wouldn’t get custody. And he wouldn’t be too quick to explain that to Veronica because I’m not sure Veronica would have felt as strongly about the kidnapping option had she known she might be helping to abduct someone else’s child. Something I’d adore about this, if it turns out to be true, is that it is a nice parallel to Keith and Veronica and the paternity issue.

Our guess for the other father possibility is Lucky. There are other possibilities from hints in certain episodes but none that explain why we suddenly have a Lucky in our story and why he’s been connected to both the Mannings and the Goodmans. I’m not ruling out the possibility that he has some other connections to Woody – except that something triggered his response to Woody and I doubt it was just Woody winning the election.

No, if the Manngings had pushed Lucky on Meg and Lucky had pushed himself on her – either with or without the Mr. Manning’s blessing – that would explain where Meg got her chlamydia. In fact, it explains both the chlamydia and the baby and why she’d be having the unprotected sex that led to both. (Note: In my idea, Meg would have discovered the pregnancy and then tried to get back with Duncan by having sex – unprotected – with him so that she’d later be able to claim he was the father not Lucky.)

Now, here’s where we really get a little wild and speculate-y, what if Lucky has a suspicion about who caused the bus crash or saw something he wasn’t meant to see? As I noted to Seanan, in this episode, we saw that a bus was parked next to the maintenance spot where his truck was parked. If Lucky saw someone on the bus that crashed after hours, he might have his own suspicions about who caused the crash. Well, Lucky might not have a reason to care until he finds out that Meg was pregnant and realizes that it might have been his child. Then he might just want to get a little vengeance of his own. Given that they are the ones bailing him out of jail, it’s possible that the Mannings know about what he’s doing. Seanan pointed out that it’s very likely that Mr. Manning is an “eye for an eye” type of guy.

There ya go… our theory in a not-so-tiny nutshell. I know I talked about not wanting to be disappointed if it turns out not to be true but I have to say I’m not married to any of the details. I’m married to the idea. The idea that the baby might not be Duncan’s and the chlamydia the is vehicle by which we find out that. Again, this isn’t because I don’t want Duncan to be the father. I honestly don’t care about that part. Some part of me hopes that he is the father, even if I like my idea of why Meg would have unprotected sex with him and after she’d had sex with someone else. Still, the reason I want there to be doubt is because all those things that didn’t make sense about this story line before? Suddenly would. And when my friends who are watching it for the first time start to wonder what the hell is going on with this soap opera-ish baby story line, I can say, “Have faith, baby, HAVE FAITH.”

So, yeah, I do hope we’re not too far off the mark and the chlamydia thing doesn’t just become another spy pen.

ETA: References to comments made by RT in Austin and then repeated at the blogger set visit are included in the comments to this post.

12 Responses to “I’ve got what?”

cindywrites says:

I agree with your main conclusion. It’s where my mind has been, since 2:20. That said, this isn’t correct:

You can have it and be asymptomatic A quarter of women and up to half of men have no symptoms. The last time Duncan and Veronica could have had sex was January–three months ago.

The last time Duncan and Meg were likely to have sex was sometime between May and August. Duncan was obviously asymptomatic, through the last time we saw him, in January.

The last time Logan and Kendall had sex (at least before last week) was probably some time in November. He could easily still be asymptomatic.

Although I think Meg probably got the STD from Lucky, I do think there’s a slim, outside chance that somehow Woody Goodman is the Chlamydia source. There was an exchange between Mrs. Hauser and Gia in NPBiaC, that was probably just throw-away humor, but could be a clue hidden in a joke:

Gia: Mrs. Hauser, mine’s wrong. Isn’t this a flower?

Ms. Hauser: No, Gia, chlamydia is not a flower.

Gia: Well, we have it on, like, a trellis at our beach house.

And I know I’ve been on the internet too long, and it’s eating my brain, because I wondered if Logan’s “When Duncan did do dudettes,” was also a clue wrapped in a joke.

Hmm, good point about Logan and the Chlamydia. I have to admit, my reasons for not suspecting Kendall have roots in things outside the show. So, I didn’t fight the idea too much.

Ahhh, I love that Woody could still be the source of the Chlamydia! And, I’m officially squicked out by that thought. Good catch on the throw-away humor. I hadn’t forgotten that Gia was the original person connected to Chlamydia on the show but I hadn’t put her words together with the idea of Woody.

You are not alone in that one. It’s weird phrasing on Logan’s part so I immediately wondered if it meant something more. With all my thoughts about gayness being a factor this season, it seemed an odd choice to throw in there.

cindywrites says:

The outside reasons (Rob’s comments about DR???) are my reason for being mostly convinced Duncan contracted it from Meg.

In My Mother the Fiend though, Kendall had a line to Duncan, where she said, “I’ve been in both your beds. I’ve earned the occasional drop-by.” If she’d said it to Logan, I’d think she was letting Logan think she’d been with Duncan in NPBiaC, or whenever she first came onto Duncan when she realized she needed a sugar daddy. But since she said it to Duncan (and I don’t think Logan was there, yet), Rob’s comments have never completely convinced me.

Yep, that’s my reason too. And the fact that he reiterated it again during the blogger set visit. He was very adament that they never meant for that to be ambiguous after the fact. So, I feel like it would mean he was either lying or had to retract that to retcon the story. Either way, I’d be annoyed by it.

The line you mention bothers me as well. It’s one of the reasons I was surprised to hear Rob say it wasn’t supposed to be ambiguous but it feels like he’d have to mar his own image of Duncan to have him sleep with Kendall. That’s ultimately why I don’t think it’ll be her.

viadisaster says:

YAY THEORIES!!!

cdn_tvaddict says:

Well that’s a damm fine theory. I’l be very impressed if that is it especially because you were always bothered about those things with Duncan and the baby.

One thought that I had about Mr. Manning & Lucky. Would Mr. Manning be crazy enough to try and crash the bus because he knew Meg was pregnant and that would cover the scandal? Not sure how Woody fits into that theory though.

zimshan says:

I would so die and go to heaven if that comababy storyline turn out to actually have a point! But YES. I’ve been on the same train of Duncan getting it from Meg who got it from Lucky. Though seriously, I’m on the path of thinking that Lucky could have raped her. Because look at what we’ve potentially have on this character. 1) He went to Iraq to fight. 2) Seems to be abit mentally unstable. 3) Possibly sexually abused by Woody as a child. That right there just seems like a recipe for a traumatized rapist to me.

alshder says:

I’ve half skimmed/half read this because I don’t want to read spec on the bus crash business in case it turns out to be right and I’m not surprised like happened last year. :)

I don’t mind to read spec about the chlamydia issue so:

As much as I hated at the beginning the idea that Duncan could not be the baby’s father you’ve convinced me that it would make sense. But I’m not really convinced that Duncan would risk so much for a kid he knows is not his, and the situation of how Meg got pregnant/got the chlamydia/both is still something I have difficulty seeing.

At this point I’m just hoping Meg’s characterization isn’t completely wrecked and she wasn’t sleeping around while she was dating Duncan or after.

And I completely agree that it has to mean something, otherwise it doesn’t make sense mentioning it. Apart from all the VD jokes, of course.

Me too!

Though seriously, I’m on the path of thinking that Lucky could have raped her.

I think I was being vague in what I wrote but, yes, that’s what Seanan and I guessed as well. The question in our minds is whether Mr. Manning let that happen knowingly or if he just pushed for her to date Lucky and the rape happened as a result.

I’ve been wondering about Mr. Manning. I made a list of suspects last night and included him for that very reason. Woody doesn’t necessarily have to fit into the theory. All of his items could be red herrings. Or, he mistakenly think he has something to do with the bus. The only thing that really makes me think that Woody is in some way connected to the bus crash is the look he and Lamb exchanged at the press conference about it back in the second episode. Other than that, everything we know about him and the crash is hearsay.

Well, in this scenario, Duncan wouldn’t know for sure that it’s not his baby. He would just know that there’s a slim possibility that it’s not. I’m not sure I fully believe Duncan would risk so much either but I’d be willing to accept that if it turns out to be true. Only because it makes a story line I hated for it’s lack of sense much more bearable.

As for Meg’s characterization, well the only way I can see for her to have the chlamydia and for it not to wreck her character is for her to have been raped. Otherwise, it just doesn’t fit the Meg we’ve met… unless we’re supposed to believe she’d try to sleep with someone after Duncan because of the pregnancy. But I can’t see Meg doing that either.

alshder says:

I’m with you on that. Whatever makes ‘Donut Run’ a bit less hair pulling inducing is good. :) And if the baby wasn’t Duncan’s it makes sense that Meg wouldn’t say he was the father and the Mannings got custody.

What about that weird conversation that Veronica had with Mr. Fuller(?) in NPBiaC? It was ignored, but for me it implied that Meg may have been involved in the ‘fooling around’ he mentioned. I can’t see how that could be in character for Meg, so it worries me.

Meg being raped would be better (and how horrible is it that I’d prefer that?) and it could fit with the way she acted in NitW. If the rape happened after Duncan dumped her for Veronica she could resent her for being an indirect cause of it. /end crazy spec