Who’s Your Daddy?

Let’s forget, for a moment, the soap opera factor of the “Meg is pregnant” storyline. I’m not thrilled with that aspect of it all but I suspect RT and company can make a hokey storyline plausible and I’d get beyond the soap opera part pretty quickly.

No, no, what bugs me is how it doesn’t seem to fit. If you know this is the story you are going to be feeding us, these writers should be good enough to lay the groundwork for it in our earlier episodes (after all they have done it several times before) but I’m just not seeing that. I covered this briefly in my first thoughts about this episode but I had to go find pictures to illustrate why it doesn’t seem to work.

Let’s backtrack a bit. Meg and Duncan reportedly broke up on the last day of school, correct? The research I did for
[info]chrisjournal suggests that the last day of school would be around June 15th. Meg obviously got pregnant before that date. But, when, exactly did she get pregnant and when did she know she was pregnant?

Well, the post mark on the letter suggests that she knew in April. Take a look again:

That’s definitely APR. Especially when you consider the other months it’d have to be. It can’t be mistaken for JUN, JUL, or AUG. This tells me that Meg knew she was pregnant sometime in early April, which gives her enough time to write to her Aunt Chris in Seattle and ask to come live with her and get a response back from her Aunt (obviously a negative response since Meg is still in Neptune). April people. Meg was not only pregnant in April, she knew she was pregnant in April.

It’s slightly possible that would mean she got pregnant in early April but suggests that Meg actually got pregnant some time in March. Do the math with me, won’t you? April to September (school probably started on or around the last week of August but close enough to September that we count all of August) equals five months. Meg is at least five months pregnant on the day that Veronica talks to her about being kicked off the cheerleading squad and they go on the field trip to the baseball stadium.

Here’s a reminder of how Meg looked during each scene:

Now, I’m not saying Meg should have a huge belly yet but that girl? That girl is NOT five months pregnant. Nope. Can’t convince me she is… I mean, damn, look at the bare belly you can see in the second picture. How the hell am I supposed to buy that Meg is so far along at that point?

And, I wouldn’t have to buy it if not for the post marked letter. If it were possible that she was only three or four months pregnant, I could be persuaded to pretend she just hadn’t started to show yet. But the letter exists and it’s how Duncan finds out she is pregnant and it all really annoys me because it makes no sense.

I feel like I should qualify something here. My sister? Had a baby at 16. My parents? Didn’t know she was pregnant until she went into labor one morning before school. Granted, this clearly illustrates that my parents were not paying enough attention to their children but it also means I know it is possible to hide a pregnancy from people up until the very end. The concept that no one knows she is pregnant doesn’t bother me at all. It’s the fact that Meg is not dressing like someone who is pregnant or hiding a pregnancy nor can I believe that she’s not showing even a little bit in those scenes. Like the things about the alternate ending that bug me, it’s just too much to swallow.

I’m willing to be wrong. To have RT and company show me that they did lay the groundwork but I don’t know if I have a whole lot of confidence this time. It feels like they purposely did this so we would be surprised she was pregnant and I appreciate being surprised by the reveal but I don’t appreciate having realistic setup sacrificed for that surprise.

ETA: Added a blank version of the post mark because it’s probably easier to see what I mean by APR on that than the one I zoomed in on…

16 Responses to “Who’s Your Daddy?”

southernbangel says:

I have a question. Now, I’m nowhere near a fan as you are so I might have missed this but… how do we know what’s in the letter Duncan read? We never saw the actual contents, right? Or did I miss something (distinct possibility considering my attention flits back and forth between VM and writing when the show is on).

So, maybe Meg was writing about something else that’s equally disturbing yet has nothing to do with her pregnancy?

(Oh, and I can barely make the connections from each episode to the next since I don’t pay all that much attention to the show, so what I just said could be a bunch of malarkey.)

roniabirk says:

Yeah, no one said one thing about the fact that Meg’s stomach is so huge when it was so flat only 2-3 months earlier the day of the crash.

If she was pregnant in April, she would be that big, but she should’ve shown *something* the day of the crash. You’re right. Her face, her chest, something.

roniabirk says:

Plus, in order for Duncan to be the father, her pregnancy had to start back in the spring – 4 months pre-crash.

Unless Duncan is lying about the contents of the letter, but I don’t know the motivation for that. I am thinking he didn’t know she was pregnant until he read that letter, which is why he hadn’t told Veronica – he didn’t know either.

They really should’ve had Meg faked up a little bit, sheesh. This will bother me now, too. *L*

eolivet says:

There’s a very easy explanation for all this:

She got her “maternity clothes” from Gabrielle Solis. ;)

southernbangel says:

I just thought of something. Is the episode 10 scene you’re talking about where we find out what was in the letter? If so, ignore me and my earlier post. :)

HAHAHA, I have the reading comprehenion of a gnat.

dangermousie says:

I think the postmark is really irrelevant to the dates. I mean it’s not something except for us obsessive freaks that anyone would even notice. I do think she got pregnant some time in June (after all, we have only V’s word that D&M broke up on the last day of school or what not. Duncan is not Mr. Forthcoming). This would make her about 6-7 months pregnant now, which is what she looks like according to my doctor friend. So she wouldn’t have to show in August or September or whenever she was pre-coma.

chrisjournal says:

Okay, this doesn’t address the April issue at all — I’m not in the loop as to whether they tell us that Meg was pg by date of letter (honestly, that’s murky in the pic to my way of thinking — that last letter could definitely be an “n”…) And I’m not sure what “day” it is on the show (if it’s real time, I think she’d be bigger than she was in this week’s show by end of Nov./7 months. Also agree with those above who think that an early to mid June conception would mean that, when school starts, she might not yet be showing. And more than that, pregnancy would definitely be a good explanation for the massive personality transplant.

But none of that’s what I wanted to say, darnit. I just had this wild hair: if my theory that Meg’s this year’s Lilly holds true, then what about one of the PCHers for daddy?

Yes, m’dear… UPN puts up the first few minutes (sorta) of each episode after the other episode airs. Next week’s can be found here. It mentions the letter. I was going to try and make this post without including that info but I couldn’t really because my logic could be faulty if we didn’t know more about the letter (as you pointed out). :)

LOL! Ok, that was funny.

I agree that the postmark is probably going to be irrelevant but I’m not so sure I can believe she didn’t get pregnant until the middle of June.

I guess the other thing that bugs me is she witnessed his reaction to Logan and Veronica dating. I was always confused as to why Meg stayed with him until the last day of school once she saw that but her knowing she was pregnant makes more sense. However, again, that means she’d have been further along than she looks in that first episode.

However, that being said, I am still holding out hope that you are correct and she just wasn’t far enough along to be showing yet. We shall see how it plays out.

Oh, I definitely agree that the pregnancy is a good explanation for the personality change in her. Especially if Duncan broke up with her for Veronica and Meg knew she was pregnant. I’m betting she didn’t tell Duncan but it would still make her very bitter about the D/V reunion.

I’m still iffy about the dates. I have issues with why Meg would have slept with or stayed with Duncan after seeing him attack his car in ATttD. Her knowing she was pregnant seems to explain that but, again, it also means she knew she was pregnant before June which makes me doubt her not showing in that first episode.

I’d like the idea of her being pregnant with a PCHers baby but it doesn’t seem very Meg-like? Even if she was upset about Duncan breaking up with her, I just don’t see her sleeping with a PCHer in retaliation. But, maybe she was close to one and we just aren’t being shown that relationship yet? Hmmm…

I’ve rewatched that scene a few times and I don’t think she’s as big as I first thought but I still think she’s rather large for not showing anything pre-crash.

Plus, I feel like she wouldn’t have been wearing those clothes. Not that she had to be in maternity clothes but she has on very restricting clothes that, even if she wasn’t quite showing yet, she would still find to be uncomfortable.

Well, Veronica does say they stayed together until the last day of school so technically she could have gotten pregnant towards the end and that would give her at least another month. However, that feels like a stretch to me. I’m not sure I buy that Meg would have been actively sleeping with Duncan after seeing him go batshit on his car in ATttD but I would buy that she decided to stay with him because she knew she was pregnant at that point.

I also see no reason for Duncan to be lying about the letter. I’m guessing he broke up with her – probably because he found out V wasn’t actually his sister – but she hadn’t worked up the nerve to tell him yet and didn’t want to be accused of trying to keep him by pretending to be pregnant. Meg seems like the type who wouldn’t want to use something like that to hold on to him.

I’m back to thinking the postmark doesn’t matter but her asking to move in with her aunt does seem to suggest she wanted to escape Neptune. I’m guessing she wrote the letter after the break up.

Plus, her not having told Duncan but him being the one to break it off and then running to Veronica would make work to make Meg bitter. And, it’s easier to be bitter with Veronica because she’s not the father of her baby.

I’m stating the obvious now, huh?

The not faking Meg up at all really gets to me. I maintain that they didn’t do it because they didn’t want us to figure it out but clearly they were underestimating our detective skills. I’d rather to have been given a little hint than make it look unbelievable when we take a look back knowing what is to come.

harper47 says:

I haven’t been very commenty about this past episode because I was just too tired all last week to make any sense and it just didn’t really do much for me. Honestly, without the sneaky Clemmons and the Logan/Weevil fight scene, I didn’t find much to recommend it.

And I agree – a simple change of clothing – just one of those long flowy tops that are all the rage would have taken care of this problem. Meg does not look pregnant in the slightest.

harper47 says:

Hee, hee – excellent!

breathinmethane says:

I lovehated the ending of that episode. It was just such a semi-shock i kinda knew something was up but i didnt predict a pregnancy. I don’t like duncan and veronica together and yes, i do lean towards dickwad logan but if meg is pregnant and awake then i dont see much of a future for v and d.